Sylow's Theorem (normal subgroups)

• Thread starter Omukara
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary, the Sylow's Theorem allows for the determination of whether a given group has a normal subgroup of a certain order. In this case, G has a normal subgroup of order 8.
Omukara
Hello,

I'm having difficulty understanding how to solve the following question using Sylow's Theorem:

Suppose G is a group of order 56. Show that either:
i) G has a normal subgroup of order 7 or
ii) G has a normal subgroup of order 8.

I started by decomposing 56 into desired form (kp^n): 56 = 2^3*7,

My lecturer insisted that when we do Sylow counting to take the larger prime as p, so I initially take p=7(?)

So by Sylow's theorem there are N=1 or N>=8 subgroups of order 7.

I get confused at this point. Is it possible that we have a normal subgroup for each of the cases of N (i.e. when N=1 and N=8)? And then why does this not allow for normal subgroups of order 8?

Help will be tremendously appreciated! Algebra exam in a few days -__-' :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Omukara! :smile:

A Sylow subgroup is normal if and only if there is only one Sylow subgroup of that order.
So, in your example, take the Sylow subgroups of order 7. You have correctly deduced that there are two cases. There are either 1 Sylow subgroup of order 7 and there are either 8 Sylow subgroups of order 7.

Now, in the former case, the unique Sylow subgroup of orfer 7 is normal. In the latter case, there are 8 Sylow subgroups, which are not normal. So it suffices there to show that there can only be one subgroup of order 8 (if there is only one, then it must be normal!).

So, how do we do this? We count the number of elements of order 7. You know that there are 8 subgroups of order 7, so, how many elements of order 7 are there then?

ah, fantastic!:) Thanks a lot!

...so there are 8(7-1) = 48 elements of order 7, leaving 8 elements after 56 - 48.

And since we know there is a subgroup of order 8, we can now deduce that this is indeed unique.

Hence it follows; subgroup of order 8 is a normal subgroup in G.

Got it - thanks again!^_^

1. What is Sylow's Theorem and why is it important in group theory?

Sylow's Theorem is a fundamental result in group theory that helps us understand the structure of finite groups. It states that if a group has a prime power order, then it contains a subgroup of that order. This is important because it allows us to break down a large group into smaller, more manageable subgroups.

2. How does Sylow's Theorem relate to normal subgroups?

Sylow's Theorem has a special case known as the Second Sylow Theorem, which states that if a group has a prime power order, then its Sylow subgroups are all conjugate to each other. This means that they are all normal subgroups, which is useful for understanding the normal structure of a group.

3. Can you give an example of how to use Sylow's Theorem to find subgroups in a group?

Yes, let's consider the group G = {1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10} under multiplication modulo 11. This group has order 10, so by Sylow's Theorem, it contains a subgroup of order 2 and a subgroup of order 5. We can find these subgroups by considering the elements of G raised to the powers 2 and 5, respectively. The subgroup of order 2 is {1, 10}, and the subgroup of order 5 is {1, 3, 4, 5, 9}.

4. How does Sylow's Theorem help us classify and understand different types of groups?

Sylow's Theorem is particularly useful in classifying groups of prime power order. For example, if a group has order p^n, where p is a prime number, then it contains a normal subgroup of order p. This allows us to understand and classify different types of groups, such as cyclic groups, which have a prime power order.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using Sylow's Theorem in group theory?

Sylow's Theorem only applies to finite groups, so it cannot be used in the study of infinite groups. Additionally, it only tells us about the existence of subgroups, but not necessarily their exact structure. This means that further analysis and techniques may be needed to fully understand the subgroups in a given group.