Movement of a ball on curved trajectory

In summary, the conversation discusses the expected natural movement of a ball being dropped on a vertical parabola with no external force or friction. It is determined that without any resistance, the ball will go all the way from point A to point B and continuously move back and forth between the two points. The potential for rotational motion and resistance is also considered.
chronicx
http://i47.tinypic.com/mt55s7.jpg

-See for image

You drop a ball on this vertical parabola with point A as starting point and point B as ending point. What is the expected natural movement of the ball that is set into motion with no external force assuming no friction? Would it go all the way from point A to point B or halfway to point B and come to rest at the middle of the curve?

I am also trying to find some evidence or literature from some text to confirm of such expected motion.. however most of the examples I see are more related to an object falling in a downward parabola or other examples on a downward projectile.

Many thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

This looks like a homework assignment. You need to follow the homework template. We can't do your work for you can give you hints to get going.

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

.[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

Its not exactly homework question. I am working on a academic proposal and need to understand the physics on such ramp for stimuli. So i wanted to know about this question in general terms.. i am not looking for any calculations as such. So posted in general section. Just need some explanation or some pointing to certain source.

chronicx said:
http://i47.tinypic.com/mt55s7.jpg

-See for image

You drop a ball on this vertical parabola with point A as starting point and point B as ending point. What is the expected natural movement of the ball that is set into motion with no external force assuming no friction? Would it go all the way from point A to point B or halfway to point B and come to rest at the middle of the curve?

I am also trying to find some evidence or literature from some text to confirm of such expected motion.. however most of the examples I see are more related to an object falling in a downward parabola or other examples on a downward projectile.

Many thanks

Without any resistance to slow it down, its going to go all the way to B. It would then continously go from A to B back and forth.

Ratchettrack

ratchettrack said:
Without any resistance to slow it down, its going to go all the way to B. It would then continously go from A to B back and forth.

Ratchettrack

I think you need to consider that it will roll down the track and as a result some energy will be in the rolling motion. So the next question would be if there's any resistance to the rolling.

jedishrfu said:
I think you need to consider that it will roll down the track and as a result some energy will be in the rolling motion. So the next question would be if there's any resistance to the rolling.

Your right. With the ball having to go from not rotating to rotating to not rotating...
It would eventually stop in the bottom center of the shape. Even if it was a mass on a sled, there would still be rotation. Only if the mass didn't rotate and there wasn't anything to inpede its movement, would it go on forever.

Ratchettrack

ratchettrack said:
Your right. With the ball having to go from not rotating to rotating to not rotating...
It would eventually stop in the bottom center of the shape. Even if it was a mass on a sled, there would still be rotation. Only if the mass didn't rotate and there wasn't anything to inpede its movement, would it go on forever.

This is incorrect. There is nothing inherent in rotational motion that dissipates energy.

I understand that as the ball goes down the ramp, it acquires some energy and it carries itself to point B. Assuming (a) no resistance from the ramp (b) no initial velocity - the ball isn't being let go from a certain height. It is just being held near the point A and let go. without any added manipulations and based just due to gravity, would it still go all the way to B?

chronicx said:
I understand that as the ball goes down the ramp, it acquires some energy and it carries itself to point B. Assuming (a) no resistance from the ramp (b) no initial velocity - the ball isn't being let go from a certain height. It is just being held near the point A and let go. without any added manipulations and based just due to gravity, would it still go all the way to B?

If there was no rotation and resistance, the ball will go back up a distance equal to what it fell.

Ratchettrack

1. What factors affect the trajectory of a ball?

The trajectory of a ball on a curved path is affected by several factors, including the initial velocity of the ball, the force and angle at which it is thrown or hit, and external forces such as gravity and air resistance. The shape and texture of the ball also play a role in its trajectory.

2. How does the force of gravity influence the trajectory of a ball on a curved path?

The force of gravity acts in a downward direction and affects the trajectory of a ball by pulling it towards the ground. This force causes the ball to follow a curved path, as it is constantly accelerating towards the Earth.

3. What is the difference between a parabolic and non-parabolic trajectory?

A parabolic trajectory is a curved path that follows the shape of a parabola, while a non-parabolic trajectory is any curved path that does not follow this shape. A ball on a curved path will typically follow a non-parabolic trajectory due to the influence of external factors such as air resistance.

4. How does air resistance affect the movement of a ball on a curved path?

Air resistance is a force that opposes the motion of an object through air. When a ball is moving through the air, it experiences air resistance, which can cause it to slow down and change direction. This can result in a change in the trajectory of the ball.

5. Can the trajectory of a ball on a curved path be predicted accurately?

The trajectory of a ball on a curved path can be predicted with a high degree of accuracy using mathematical equations and models. However, external factors such as wind and air resistance can make it difficult to predict the exact path of a ball. The trajectory can also be affected by human error or inconsistencies in the playing surface.