Textbook Recommendations for IChO

• Thread starter Big-Daddy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Textbook
In summary, the conversation is about asking for recommendations for textbooks for the International Chemistry Olympiad. The syllabus is similar to that of a general undergraduate degree in pure chemistry, with a focus on physical, inorganic, and analytical chemistry. The person is also looking for sources of challenging topic-by-topic questions at the level of the Olympiad. The conversation also mentions an example of a question from the Olympiad and asks for recommendations on textbooks that would be suitable for learning the theory and practicing questions. The response suggests that any general chemistry undergraduate level book would suffice and advises against looking for a specific book as it is an individual preference. The person clarifies that they are looking for a modern undergraduate general chemistry textbook with slightly challenging questions.
Big-Daddy
Again, I'm not quite sure where this goes. Since it's vaguely school/college related, I thought I'd ask in this forum, but please move it if appropriate.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend some textbooks for the International Chemistry Olympiad? I'm looking specifically for physical, inorganic or analytical textbooks. The syllabus is the same as that for a general undergraduate degree in pure chemistry (that may help with recommendations theory-wise), with an emphasis on physical chemistry but still undergraduate-level inorganic.

That's on the theoretical side. One major issue, though, is that I can barely find any sources of challenging topic-by-topic questions at the level of the Olympiad.

Here is an example of the sort of questions they have:

--------------

A British artist Roger Hiorns entirely filled a flat with a supersaturated copper sulfate solution. After removal of the solution, blue crystals remained on the walls, floor, and ceiling.

1. Write down the formula of these crystals.

2. Humidity inside this flat has a constant low level. Using the Clausius-Clapeyron equation, calculate the temperature at which the humidity will be 35% (of the saturated vapor pressure of water at the same temperature).

Copper sulfate is often used in laboratories as a drying agent, for example, to obtain absolute ethanol.

3. By rectification of aqueous ethanol one can increase its concentration to not more than
95.5 wt.%. This is due to the fact that:

a) pressures of water and ethanol vapor are the same
b) mole fractions of ethanol in the gas and liquid phases are equal
c) water forms a stable complex with ethanol
d) ethanol absorbs water vapor from the air

Choose the correct answer.

For further dehydration of ethanol, anhydrous copper sulfate is added. After a while the liquid is decanted and treated with a new portion of anhydrous copper sulfate. These operations are repeated 2-3 times until copper sulfate will stop turning blue. Then ethanol is filtered and distilled.

4. What is the minimum residual water content (in mass percent) that can be achieved by
using this method at room temperature?

Two chemists argued at what temperature – high or low – should the process of drying be
performed in order to achieve lower residual water content.

5. Calculate the minimum residual water contents if ethanol was dried at 0 °C and 40 °C.

Given Information:

Vapor pressure of water over its dilute solution in ethanol is given by p=psat*γ*x, where psat is the saturated vapor pressure of water, x is the mole fraction of water in solution, γ is the activity coefficient of water, which only slightly depends on temperature and can be assumed to be 2.45.

Also given are the enthalpy changes of formation of CuSO4.5H2O, CuSO4.3H2O, CuSO4.H2O, CuSO4, H2O (l) and H2O (g), and psat at 298 K of CuSO4.5H2O, CuSO4.3H2O, CuSO4.H2O and H2O (l).

-------------

Anyway, any recommendations would be really appreciated. If you could also tell me whether the textbook or resource you mention would be good for learning the theory for these (assume we need to have the knowledge of advanced, "graduating" undergraduates in physical chemistry and analytical chemistry, and the knowledge of "middle"-stage undergrads in inorganic chemistry) or for practising questions like these, I would be very grateful.

Thank you :)

Physics news on Phys.org
You will not get better answer than "any general chemistry undergraduate level books" no matter how many times and in how many forums subforums you will ask this question. Also nobody is going to tell you which book is the best one, as this is an individual thing.

IChO syllabus is not much different from any reasonable undergraduate general chemistry course syllabus, plus some specific subjects (I believe in the past they were mentioned before the competition, and they were different each year). If you hope for a miracle and some fancy book which will be better than others - you are wasting your time. Start working through the books you already have.

Then I suppose what I am looking for is an good example of a "general chemistry undergraduate level book"! I've had a suggestion or two but they are fairly antiquated (e.g. "General Chemistry" by Linus Pauling) and I don't know whether this would constitute the equivalent of a modern undergraduate general chemistry textbook.

I don't have any books yet! I am still looking for a good example of one. Not a miracle, just a standard undergraduate general chemistry textbook with perhaps slightly challenging questions. Nothing out of the ordinary - I just don't have any names!

1. What are the best textbooks for studying for the International Chemistry Olympiad (IChO)?

Some popular textbooks for studying for the IChO include "Chemistry: The Central Science" by Brown, LeMay, and Bursten, "Organic Chemistry" by Clayden, Greeves, and Warren, and "Physical Chemistry" by Atkins and de Paula. However, it ultimately depends on your individual learning style and needs.

2. Are there any specific textbooks that focus on the topics covered in the IChO?

Yes, there are some textbooks specifically designed for the IChO, such as "Chemistry Olympiads: 1996-2001" by Byung-Gak Kim and "Problems and Solutions for IChO" by Dechen Yangzom and Tshewang Lhamo. These books contain past IChO problems and solutions.

3. Are there any online resources or free textbooks available for IChO preparation?

Yes, there are several online resources and free textbooks available for IChO preparation. Some examples include "Chemistry Olympiad Basic Concepts" by Nivaldo Tro, "IChO Study Material" by the International Chemistry Olympiad, and "Chemistry Olympiad Books" by the Royal Society of Chemistry.

4. Can I use textbooks from other countries to prepare for the IChO?

Yes, you can use textbooks from other countries to prepare for the IChO. However, it is important to keep in mind that the IChO may cover different topics or have a different level of difficulty compared to other countries' chemistry olympiads.

5. Are there any additional resources or study materials that can supplement textbook studying for the IChO?

Yes, there are many additional resources and study materials that can supplement textbook studying for the IChO. Some examples include past exams and solutions, practice problems, video lectures, and review courses. It can also be helpful to form study groups or work with a tutor for additional support.