Bounded sequences and convergent subsequences in metric spaces

In summary, the statement that a bounded sequence in a general normed space has a convergent subsequence is not always true. This is because while it holds in finite dimensional spaces such as \mathbb R^n, it does not hold in infinite dimensional spaces. Examples in Hilbert spaces and rational numbers are given to illustrate this.
AxiomOfChoice
Suppose we're in a general normed space, and we're considering a sequence [itex]\{x_n\}[/itex] which is bounded in norm: [itex]\|x_n\| \leq M[/itex] for some [itex]M > 0[/itex]. Do we know that [itex]\{x_n\}[/itex] has a convergent subsequence? Why or why not?

I know this is true in [itex]\mathbb R^n[/itex], but is it true in an arbitrary normed space? In particular, since it's true in [itex]\mathbb R[/itex], we know that [itex]\{\|x_n\|\}[/itex] has a convergent subsequence [itex]\{\|x_{n_k}\|\}[/itex] that converges to some [itex]z\in \mathbb R[/itex]. My first instinct would be to try to apply the triangle inequality to show that [itex]\|x_{n_k} - x\| \to 0[/itex] for [itex]\|x\| = z[/itex], but the triangle inequality doesn't give me what I want here, since I need to bound [itex]\|x_{n_k} - x\|[/itex] by something that can be made arbitrarily small, but I only have [itex]| \|x_{n_k}\| - \|x\| | \leq \|x_{n_k} - x\|[/itex].

Physics news on Phys.org
Take the space Q^n over Q, and you will see that it is not the case. E.g. in Q, take an increasing sequence converging to sqrt(2) in R. Any subsequence will converge to sqrt(2) in R, so it will not converge to any element of Q.

AxiomOfChoice said:
Suppose we're in a general normed space, and we're considering a sequence [itex]\{x_n\}[/itex] which is bounded in norm: [itex]\|x_n\| \leq M[/itex] for some [itex]M > 0[/itex]. Do we know that [itex]\{x_n\}[/itex] has a convergent subsequence? Why or why not?

I know this is true in [itex]\mathbb R^n[/itex], but is it true in an arbitrary normed space? In particular, since it's true in [itex]\mathbb R[/itex], we know that [itex]\{\|x_n\|\}[/itex] has a convergent subsequence [itex]\{\|x_{n_k}\|\}[/itex] that converges to some [itex]z\in \mathbb R[/itex]. My first instinct would be to try to apply the triangle inequality to show that [itex]\|x_{n_k} - x\| \to 0[/itex] for [itex]\|x\| = z[/itex], but the triangle inequality doesn't give me what I want here, since I need to bound [itex]\|x_{n_k} - x\|[/itex] by something that can be made arbitrarily small, but I only have [itex]| \|x_{n_k}\| - \|x\| | \leq \|x_{n_k} - x\|[/itex].
The answer is trivially no. Example in Hilbert Space:
Let xn=(0,0,...,1,0,0...) where the 1 is the nth coordinate. Then ||xn||=1, but the sequence has no convergent subsequences.

The underlying difference is that bounded sets in finite dimensional spaces have a compact closure, but not necessarily in infinite dimensional spaces.

Last edited:
Yet another example: [itex]a_1= 3[/itex], [itex]a_2= 3.1[/itex], [itex]a_3= 3.14[/itex], etc. where each term is one more decimal place in the decimal expansion of [itex]\pi[/itex]. That is a bounded sequence of rational numbers. Thinking of it as a sequence in the real numbers, it converges to [itex]\pi[/itex] which means every subsequence converges to [itex]\pi[/itex]. Thinking of it as a sequence in the rational numbers, clearly no subsequence can converge to a rational number.

More generally, a sequence of rational numbers that converges to an irrational number, cannot have any subsequence that converges to a rational number. Thus, thinking of the sequence as in the rational numbers, no subsequence can converge.

Halls that is more or less the same example as what I brought up.

Thanks a lot, guys. I should have thought of the "orthonormal sequence in an infinite dimensional Hilbert space" example. Oh well...now I know (hopefully)!

1. What is a bounded sequence in a metric space?

A bounded sequence in a metric space is a sequence of points in the space that are contained within a finite distance from each other. This means that there exists a number, called the bound, which is greater than or equal to the distance between any two points in the sequence.

2. How is a bounded sequence different from a convergent sequence?

A bounded sequence is a sequence of points that are contained within a finite distance from each other, while a convergent sequence is a sequence where the distance between consecutive terms in the sequence approaches zero as the sequence progresses. In other words, a bounded sequence has a finite bound, while a convergent sequence has a limit.

3. What is a convergent subsequence in a metric space?

A convergent subsequence in a metric space is a subsequence of a sequence that approaches a limit as the number of terms in the subsequence increases. This means that the distance between consecutive terms in the subsequence approaches zero as the subsequence progresses.

4. How do you prove that a sequence is bounded?

To prove that a sequence is bounded, you need to show that there exists a number, called the bound, which is greater than or equal to the distance between any two points in the sequence. This can be done by finding the maximum distance between any two points in the sequence and showing that it is less than or equal to the bound.

5. Can a bounded sequence have a divergent subsequence?

Yes, a bounded sequence can have a divergent subsequence. This is because a bounded sequence only requires that there exists a finite bound for the distances between points in the sequence, while a divergent subsequence means that the subsequence does not approach a limit. Therefore, a bounded sequence can have a divergent subsequence as long as the distances between points in the subsequence remain within the bound.