More constant acceleration questions

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving adjusting a garden hose nozzle and determining the speed of water as it leaves the nozzle. The solution involves using a formula to calculate position with time, initial velocity, and acceleration. The question of whether the solution is correct is raised, with the author suggesting it may have been considered difficult due to its omission from the examples provided.
kylera
Because there's no solution, and my book rated this problem as one of the tougher ones compared to the others, I have no idea whether I did this right, but my gut feeling is that it's wrong because I solved it waaaay too quickly.

Question: Suppose you adjust your garden hose nozzle for a hard stream of water. You point the nozzle vertically upoward at a height of 1.5m above the ground. When you quickly move the nozzle away from the vertical, you hear the water striking the ground next to you for another 2.0s. what is the water speed as it leaves the nozzle?

My solution: Use the formula that determines position with time, initial velocity and acceleration:
x = x(initial) + v(initial)*time + .5*a*t^2
t = 2.0s, a = -9.8m/s^2
-1.5 = 0 + 2v - 2*9.8
v(initial) = 9.1 m/s

Any pointers?

Physics news on Phys.org
okay, I got 9.05 m/s .
maybe the author thought it was "difficult" because he did not include one exactly like it (solved as an example).
Authors don't distinguish between "challenging", as opposed to "long" or "tedious".

As a scientist, it is important to always question your solutions and look for potential errors or discrepancies. In this case, your solution seems reasonable and the steps you took to solve the problem are correct. However, it is always a good idea to check your answer using different methods or equations to confirm its accuracy. Additionally, you can also try plugging in different values for the initial velocity and acceleration to see if they still satisfy the equation. If they do not, then it is likely that your solution is incorrect. It is also helpful to double-check your calculations and make sure that all units are consistent throughout the problem. Keep in mind that practice and patience are key in solving tough problems, so don't be discouraged if it takes some time to find the correct solution.

FAQ: More constant acceleration questions

1. How can I calculate the acceleration of an object with a changing velocity?

The acceleration of an object with a changing velocity can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. This is known as average acceleration and is represented by the formula a = (vf - vi) / t, where vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time.

2. What is the difference between constant acceleration and variable acceleration?

Constant acceleration is when the acceleration of an object remains the same throughout its motion, while variable acceleration is when the acceleration changes over time. In other words, constant acceleration means the velocity of the object changes by the same amount in each unit of time, while variable acceleration means the velocity changes by different amounts in each unit of time.

3. Can an object have a constant acceleration and a changing velocity?

Yes, an object can have a constant acceleration and a changing velocity. This is because acceleration is the rate of change of velocity, so even if the velocity is changing, the acceleration can remain constant as long as the rate of change is consistent.

4. How does the mass of an object affect its acceleration?

The mass of an object does not directly affect its acceleration. However, a heavier object may require more force to accelerate at a certain rate compared to a lighter object. This is because the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it, according to Newton’s second law of motion (a = F/m).

5. Can an object have a constant acceleration if there is a net force acting on it?

Yes, an object can have a constant acceleration even if there is a net force acting on it. This is because the acceleration of an object is determined by the net force acting on it, not by the individual forces. As long as the net force remains constant, the object will have a constant acceleration.