Appraising Analogical Arguments

• Thread starter darkchild
  • Start date
In summary: Arguments by analogy are not always based on the number of respects in which things are analogous. The third criterion is inapplicable to such arguments because it is not based on the number of similarities between the things being compared, but on the number of differences between the things being compared.
darkchild
"Appraising Analogical Arguments"

I am self-studying an oldish text on introductory logic by Copi. The text lists some criteria by which arguments by analogy may be judged. Here are three of them:

"...the number of respects in which the things involved are said to be analogous."

"...the number of disanalogies or points of difference between the instances mentioned in the premisses and the instance with which the conclusion is concerned."

"...the more dissimilar the instances mentioned in its premisses, the stronger is the argument."

I am confused because the third criterion seems inapplicable to arguments by analogy. This criterion is illustrated by the following example: a particular student is likely to do well in college if ten students of similar background (such as high school grades) also do well, and this argument is strengthened if the analogy involves ten students of different backgrounds. But if the ten other students are of different backgrounds, in what sense is an analogy being made; what is/are the point(s) of comparison? In fact, such an argument seems to be the exact opposite of an argument by analogy, because to argue for the collegiate success of one person based on the collegiate success of a bunch of people whose only similarity to the first is their success in college is to effectively claim that neither background nor anything else effects one's probability of doing well in college. Furthermore, the third criterion does not jibe with the first two.

Physics news on Phys.org
Not all studies of "logic" are studies of "mathematical logic". As I recall, Copi's books do contain treatments of mathematical logic - also known as "symbolic logic". However, the passages you are quoting don't deal with mathematical logic. They deal with the "logic" used in arguments by columnists, lawyers and debaters. (For example, the subject of ad hominem arguments is a topic for that type of logic, but not for mathematical logic.)

You aren't posing a question that has any mathematical interpretation. Of course, given members of the forum have such wide expertise, perhaps some expert in the logic of debaters will comment on it.

Stephen Tashi said:
Not all studies of "logic" are studies of "mathematical logic".
I know all of this. I didn't post the question because I thought that it is related to mathematical logic. "Logic" is in the name of the forum, so I assumed that discussion pertaining to all types of logic were permissible. If inductive logic is out of place in this forum, surely statistics is as well.

I'll leave it to some moderator to comment on whether the logic of debaters is a topic for this section of the forum. (I don't have an axe to grind one way or the other.)

Mathematical questions about statistics are not out of place.

I understand the importance of evaluating arguments by analogy in a logical and systematic way. In this case, I believe the third criterion listed is not applicable to arguments by analogy.

Analogical arguments rely on the similarities between two or more things to make a conclusion about the thing being discussed. Therefore, the more similarities between the instances mentioned in the premises and the instance with which the conclusion is concerned, the stronger the argument. This aligns with the first two criteria listed.

However, the third criterion, which suggests that the more dissimilar the instances mentioned in the premises, the stronger the argument, does not fit with the concept of analogy. Analogies are based on similarities, not differences. In fact, the more dissimilar the instances are, the weaker the analogy becomes.

In the example given, the argument is strengthened by including students with different backgrounds. However, this does not make the analogy stronger. In fact, it weakens the analogy because the success of these students may be attributed to other factors besides their background.

In conclusion, as a scientist, I would suggest that the third criterion be disregarded when evaluating arguments by analogy. Instead, we should focus on the number of similarities and the number of disanalogies between the instances mentioned in the premises and the instance with which the conclusion is concerned. This will provide a more accurate evaluation of the strength of an analogical argument.

FAQ: Appraising Analogical Arguments

What is an analogical argument?

An analogical argument is a type of reasoning that uses similarities between two or more things to draw a conclusion about a new or unknown thing. It is based on the idea that if two things are similar in certain ways, then they will be similar in other ways as well.

How do you evaluate the strength of an analogical argument?

The strength of an analogical argument depends on how relevant the similarities between the two things are to the conclusion being drawn. The more relevant the similarities, the stronger the argument. Other factors to consider include the number of similarities, the diversity of sources used, and the credibility of the sources.

What are some potential weaknesses of analogical arguments?

One weakness of analogical arguments is that they are based on similarities, which can be subjective and open to interpretation. Additionally, the argument may not hold if there are significant differences between the two things being compared. Another potential weakness is that the analogy may only work in certain contexts and may not be applicable in other situations.

How can you improve the strength of an analogical argument?

To strengthen an analogical argument, it is important to carefully select relevant and diverse similarities between the two things being compared. It is also helpful to use multiple analogies to support the conclusion and to consider potential counterarguments. Additionally, using credible sources and ensuring the analogy is applicable to the specific context can strengthen the argument.

What are some real-life examples of analogical arguments?

Analogical arguments are commonly used in everyday life, such as when comparing new products to existing ones or when making predictions based on past experiences. In the scientific field, analogies are often used to explain complex concepts or to make predictions about new phenomena based on existing knowledge. For example, the way a virus spreads can be compared to the way a wildfire spreads, or the structure of an atom can be compared to a solar system.