Mathematical induction/recusive sequences - just need a hint

In summary, you are seeking help from someone who is familiar with recursive sequences in order to prove that a sequence given is increasing. The person is able to verify that the first step is true for n=1. They then assume it is true for n=k and are able to get to n=k+1 where they complete the proof.
DivGradCurl
How do I prove by mathematical induction that the sequence given by

[tex] a_{n+1}=3-\frac{1}{a_n} \qquad a_1=1 [/tex]

is increasing?

The difficulty in finding it myself is that recursive sequences are not familiar to me---i.e. usually, I am able do the following steps without a problem:

(A) Show n=1 gives a true statement.
(B) Assume it is true for n=k.
(C) Get to n=k+1 and complete the proof.

... but this is not a regular sequence. Can anyone give me a tip?

Physics news on Phys.org
Not quite sure what kind of hint you're after... You wish to prove that a_(n + 1) > a_n for all n. The inductive step is basically showing that a_(k + 2) > a_(k + 1) if a_(k + 1) > a_k. If you work with the first inequality, you'll surely find something. Remember that you can relate a number in the sequence to its predecessor, e.g. a_(k + 2) = 3 - 1/a_(k + 1).

At n=1, we find a(2)=2>1=a(1), that is, the first step is verified.

Assume a(k)>a(k-1)
Prove that a(k+1)>a(k):

a(k+1)-a(k)=3-1/a(k)-(3-1/a(k-1))=1/a(k-1)-1/a(k)>0, since a(k)>a(k-1)

Oh... I've got it. Thanks. :smile:

have you shown n=1?also, how does your prof let you play with the equations, does he/she let you pretty much play with them any way that is algebraically sensical or do you have to take a more controlled approach like playing with one side only, etc.?

modmans2ndcoming said:
have you shown n=1?also, how does your prof let you play with the equations, does he/she let you pretty much play with them any way that is algebraically sensical or do you have to take a more controlled approach like playing with one side only, etc.?
What are you getting at?
I've solely used the definitions of the term in the sequence; I haven't presupposed anything that should be proven :confused:

to use induction, you show that it it true for n=1 before any other step is taken.

erm, and he did show n=1 is ok, in fact that was the first sentence in his proof.

Sorry for the late reply---I didn't notice my notification was set to weekly.

Anyhow, I have simply shown what I intended to prove to be valid for:
n=1;
n=k;
n=k+1;
Then, it would be true for all n.

Well, The difficulty I had has already been resolved with your assistance, guys.

Thank you very much indeed. :smile:

What is mathematical induction?

Mathematical induction is a proof technique used to prove statements that are true for all natural numbers. It involves showing that a statement is true for the first natural number, and then using that to prove the statement for the next natural number, and so on.

What is a recursive sequence?

A recursive sequence is a sequence of numbers where each term is defined in terms of the previous terms. It is a way of expressing a relationship between terms in a sequence.

What is the principle of mathematical induction?

The principle of mathematical induction states that if a statement is true for the first natural number, and if it can be shown that if the statement is true for any natural number, then it must also be true for the next natural number, then the statement is true for all natural numbers.

What is the difference between weak and strong induction?

Weak induction, also known as simple induction, only uses the previous term in a sequence to prove the next term. Strong induction, on the other hand, uses all previous terms in a sequence to prove the next term.

What are some common mistakes made when using mathematical induction?

Some common mistakes made when using mathematical induction include assuming the statement is true for all natural numbers without proving it, using the wrong base case, and incorrectly applying the inductive hypothesis. It is important to carefully follow the steps of mathematical induction to avoid making mistakes.