Some questions about invertibility of matrix products

• Thread starter Bipolarity
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrix
In summary: I will just list them for future reference.1) If A and B are singular, is the product AB also singular?2) If A is invertible, but B is singular, is AB invertible or singular? What about BA?3) If AB is invertible, can we conclude anything about the invertibility of A and/or B?4) If AB is singular, can we conclude anything about the invertibility of A and/or B?5) If BA is invertible, can we conclude anything about the invertibility of A and/or B?6) If BA is singular, can we conclude
Bipolarity
After solving some problems about matrix invertibility and learning some theorems (and proving them), I have developed a set of questions about matrix invertibility. I have some claims but I don't know if they're true or false, so I was wondering if someone could point out which ones are true and which ones are false. Please don't give me any counterexamples or proofs, I wish to do them myself!

- A and B are not necessarily square, unless explictly stated
- The products AB and BA are defined wherever they happen to be mentioned

Here's what I already know:
- If A and B are invertible, the product AB and the product BA are both invertible, if they are defined.

What about the following?

1) If A and B are singular matrices, is the product AB also singular?
2) If A is invertible, but B is singular, is AB invertible or singular? What about BA?
3) If AB is invertible, can we conclude anything about the invertibility of A and/or B?
4) If AB is singular, can we conclude anything about the invertibility of A and/or B?
5) If BA is invertible, can we conclude anything about the invertibility of A and/or B?
6) If BA is singular, can we conclude anything about the invertibility of A and/or B?
7) If we know that A and B are square matrices, how does that affect Question 3?
8) If we know that A and B are square matrices, how does that affect Question 4?
9) If we know that A and B are square matrices, how does that affect Question 5?
10) If we know that A and B are square matrices, how does that affect Question 6?

Again, I only want to know whether they are true or false. I would like to prove/find counterexamples myself.

BiP

Physics news on Phys.org
Bipolarity said:
After solving some problems about matrix invertibility and learning some theorems (and proving them), I have developed a set of questions about matrix invertibility. I have some claims but I don't know if they're true or false, so I was wondering if someone could point out which ones are true and which ones are false. Please don't give me any counterexamples or proofs, I wish to do them myself!

- A and B are not necessarily square, unless explictly stated
- The products AB and BA are defined wherever they happen to be mentioned

Here's what I already know:
- If A and B are invertible, the product AB and the product BA are both invertible, if they are defined.

What about the following?

1) If A and B are singular matrices, is the product AB also singular?
2) If A is invertible, but B is singular, is AB invertible or singular? What about BA?
3) If AB is invertible, can we conclude anything about the invertibility of A and/or B?
4) If AB is singular, can we conclude anything about the invertibility of A and/or B?
5) If BA is invertible, can we conclude anything about the invertibility of A and/or B?
6) If BA is singular, can we conclude anything about the invertibility of A and/or B?
7) If we know that A and B are square matrices, how does that affect Question 3?
8) If we know that A and B are square matrices, how does that affect Question 4?
9) If we know that A and B are square matrices, how does that affect Question 5?
10) If we know that A and B are square matrices, how does that affect Question 6?

Again, I only want to know whether they are true or false. I would like to prove/find counterexamples myself.

BiP
The notions of invertibility and singularity for matrices are only defined for square matrices. Therefore, it has no meaning to say that a nonsquare matrix is invertible / noninvertible / singular / nonsingular. Therefore, the questions 1-6 have no meaning if the matrices are not square.

For a square matrix, invertible is the same thing as nonsingular, and singular is the same thing as noninvertible.

For the questions 7-10, the answers are:

7) Both A and B are invertible/nonsingular.
8) At least one of A and B is singular/noninvertible.
9) Same as 7).
10) Same as 8).

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invertible_matrix

Erland said:
The notions of invertibility and singularity for matrices are only defined for square matrices. Therefore, it has no meaning to say that a nonsquare matrix is invertible / noninvertible / singular / nonsingular. Therefore, the questions 1-6 have no meaning if the matrices are not square.

For a square matrix, invertible is the same thing as nonsingular, and singular is the same thing as noninvertible.

For the questions 7-10, the answers are:

7) Both A and B are invertible/nonsingular.
8) At least one of A and B is singular/noninvertible.
9) Same as 7).
10) Same as 8).

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invertible_matrix

Thank you so much Erland! A grave mistake on my part not to realize that only square matrices have inverses (both left and right inverses). I will not attempt to prove the 4 results.

BiP

1. What is the definition of an invertible matrix?

An invertible matrix is a square matrix that has a unique inverse matrix. This means that when the original matrix is multiplied by its inverse, the resulting product is the identity matrix (a matrix with diagonal elements equal to 1 and all other elements equal to 0).

2. How can I determine if a matrix is invertible?

A matrix is invertible if its determinant (the value obtained by performing a certain mathematical operation on the elements of the matrix) is not equal to 0. If the determinant is 0, the matrix is not invertible.

3. Can a product of two non-invertible matrices be invertible?

No, the product of two non-invertible matrices will always be non-invertible. This is because if either of the matrices is non-invertible, their product will also have a determinant of 0.

4. Is the inverse of a product of matrices the same as the product of their inverses?

No, the inverse of a product of matrices is not the same as the product of their inverses. In general, (AB)^-1 is not equal to A^-1B^-1. However, if A and B are both invertible, then (AB)^-1 = B^-1A^-1.

5. Are all invertible matrices square matrices?

Yes, all invertible matrices are square matrices. This means that the number of rows is equal to the number of columns. A rectangular matrix (with different numbers of rows and columns) can never be invertible.