Determine if lines are Parallel, Intersecting, or Skew

In summary, parallel lines are two or more lines that never intersect and are always the same distance apart. You can determine parallel lines by checking if their slopes are equal or by graphing them and comparing their slopes and y-intercepts. Intersecting lines are two or more lines that cross or meet at a single point. You can determine intersecting lines by checking if their slopes are different or by graphing them and comparing their slopes. Skew lines are two or more lines that are not parallel and do not intersect. They are always at a constant distance apart and never cross.
SelHype
Does anyone know a decent website that can show me this? Everywhere I go there is not a process for Vector Calculus students.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
??Any good Calculus book will have a section on this. It certainly isn't hard. Two lines in 3 space are parallel if their "direction vectors" are parallel (one is a multiple of the other), intersect if it is possible to solve the equations simultaneously, and skew if neither of those is true.

1. What are parallel lines?

Parallel lines are two or more lines that never intersect and are always the same distance apart.

2. How can I determine if lines are parallel?

If the slopes of two lines are equal, then they are parallel. You can also determine parallel lines by graphing them and seeing if they have the same slope and different y-intercepts.

3. What are intersecting lines?

Intersecting lines are two or more lines that cross or meet at a single point.

4. How can I determine if lines are intersecting?

If the slopes of two lines are different, then they are intersecting. You can also determine intersecting lines by graphing them and seeing if they have different slopes.

5. What are skew lines?

Skew lines are two or more lines that are not parallel and do not intersect. They are always at a constant distance apart and never cross.