Sample of titanium dioxide (TiO2)

• Thread starter a.a
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Titanium
In summary: TiO2 means 0.02 moles of TiSo in summary, the given problem involves heating a sample of titanium dioxide (TiO2) in H2 gas, resulting in water vapor and another titanium oxide. The formula of the oxide produced is determined by finding the number of moles of Ti in TiO2, which is then used to calculate the mass of Ti and O in the new oxide. Using the molar ratio of Ti and O, the formula is found to be Ti2O3.
a.a

Homework Statement

A sample of titanium dioxide (TiO2) weighing 1.598 g is heated in H2 gas to give
water vapour and 1.438 g of another titanium oxide. What is the formula of the
oxide produced?
TiO2 (s) + H2 (g) TixOy (s) + H2O (g) (unbalanced)

The solution posted is as follows but the main part i don't get is how the prof. found the number of moles Ti in TiO2
Any help appericiated

The Attempt at a Solution

1.598 g TiO2 × 1 1 mol TiO2 × 1 mol Ti = 0.02001 mol Ti
79.878 g TiO2 1 mol TiO2

mol Ti in TiO2 = mol Ti in TixOy
∴mol Ti in TixOy = 0.02001
mass of Ti in TixOy = 0.02001 mol Ti × 47.88 g Ti = 0.9579 g Ti
1 mol Ti
mass of O in TixOy = mass of sample – mass Ti
mass of O in TixOy = 1.438 g – 0.9579 g = 0.4801 g O
mol of O in TixOy = 0.4801 g O × 1 mol O = 0.03001 mol
15.999 g O
Thus we have a molar ratio of: Ti0.02001O0.03001
Divide each number by the smallest value:
Ti0.02001/0/02001O0.03001/0/02001 = Ti1O1.5 or, in whole numbers, Ti2O3.

Physics news on Phys.org

oh wow.. i figured it out a different way.. wow.. soo suprised at my self

what i did was first find the mass of Ti in the given mass if TiO2 rather than finding the monber of moles first.. i have a tendency of liking to stay in the quantity given to me.. it actually came inhandy here.. :)

Last edited:

1 mole of TiO2 is 79.87 g
x moles is 1.598 g

x = 1.598/79.87

1. What is titanium dioxide (TiO2)?

Titanium dioxide (TiO2) is a naturally occurring mineral that is commonly used as a white pigment in various industries, including paint, plastics, paper, and cosmetics. It is also used in sunscreen as a UV filter and in food as a food coloring agent.

2. How is titanium dioxide (TiO2) made?

Titanium dioxide (TiO2) is typically produced through a chemical process called the chloride process, which involves the reaction of titanium-containing ores with chlorine gas. This process produces a fine white powder that is then used in various applications.

3. What are the properties of titanium dioxide (TiO2)?

Titanium dioxide (TiO2) has a high refractive index, which makes it an effective white pigment for producing bright colors. It is also chemically inert, non-toxic, and has a high melting point, making it suitable for use in a wide range of industries.

4. What are the common uses of titanium dioxide (TiO2)?

Titanium dioxide (TiO2) is commonly used as a white pigment in paints, coatings, and plastics to provide opacity and brightness. It is also used as a UV filter in sunscreen and as a food coloring agent in food products. Additionally, it is used in photocatalysts for air and water purification.

5. Is titanium dioxide (TiO2) safe for human consumption?

Yes, titanium dioxide (TiO2) has been approved by regulatory agencies around the world as safe for use in food products. However, there have been some concerns about the potential health effects of inhaling TiO2 nanoparticles, which are used in some products. Further research is needed to fully understand the potential risks.