Limit of a rational function for different values of K (check)

In summary: This method of dividing by the highest power is called "dominant term" method.In summary, the conversation discusses finding the limit of (4kx + 9)/(45x + 3) as x->inf, for different values of k. The expert explains that dividing by the highest power of 4 is a valid method and provides the results for K<5, K=5, and K>5. They also suggest using a trick for more rigorous results. The conversation ends with discussing how to type equations using Latex.
MurdocJensen
Find the limit of (4kx + 9)/(45x + 3) as x->inf, when K=5, K<5, K>5.

Answer: I divided each term by the highest power of 4, and was able to come up with 0 (K<5), 1 (K=5), inf (K>5). I'm pretty sure these are correct.

Was this the right method? Am I good to assume that dividing by the highest power of x is similar in some ways to dividing by the highest power of some common base, which is what I did here?

Let me know if I can explain myself better.

Physics news on Phys.org
MurdocJensen said:
Find the limit of (4kx + 9)/(45x + 3) as x->inf, when K=5, K<5, K>5.

Answer: I divided each term by the highest power of 4, and was able to come up with 0 (K<5), 1 (K=5), inf (K>5). I'm pretty sure these are correct.

Was this the right method? Am I good to assume that dividing by the highest power of x is similar in some ways to dividing by the highest power of some common base, which is what I did here?

Let me know if I can explain myself better.

You are indeed correct. If you want to be more rigorous for K = 5, K > 5, and 0 <= k < 5 use the following trick:

[tex]\frac{4^{kx} + 9}{4^{5x} + 3} = \frac{4^{kx} + 9}{4^{5x} + 3} \ * \frac{\frac{1}{4^{kx}}}{\frac{1}{4^{kx}}} = \frac{1 + 9*4^{-kx}}{4^{(5-k)x} + 3*4^{-kx}} [/tex]

For k < 0, you can use what you originally typed (do you know why?)

Last edited:
Thanks.

And for K < 0, I can use what I originally typed because the terms with x in their exponent will tend to zero as x -> inf.

And how do you type those operations out? They look so pretty.

MurdocJensen said:
Thanks.

And for K < 0, I can use what I originally typed because the terms with x in their exponent will tend to zero as x -> inf.

Yes, for K<0, we have that [itex]4^{Kx}\rightarrow 0[/itex]. And thus

[tex]\frac{4^{Kx}+9}{4^{5x}+3}\rightarrow 0[/tex]

as the denominator will tend to infinity.

And how do you type those operations out? They look so pretty.

Click on the equations to see the code! :smile:

micromass: I was pretty general (and wrong) with my reply. Thanks for the clarification.

1. What is the definition of a limit of a rational function?

A limit of a rational function is the value that a rational function approaches as its input (x) approaches a certain value. It can be thought of as the "end behavior" of the function.

2. How is the limit of a rational function calculated?

The limit of a rational function can be calculated using algebraic methods, such as factoring and simplifying, or by using the rules of limits such as substitution and algebraic manipulation.

3. Can the limit of a rational function be undefined?

Yes, the limit of a rational function can be undefined if the function has a vertical asymptote or if the limit approaches infinity or negative infinity.

4. What does the value of K represent in a rational function?

The value of K in a rational function represents a constant or variable that is used in the function. It can affect the shape and behavior of the function, including the limit of the function.

5. How does changing the value of K affect the limit of a rational function?

Changing the value of K can change the limit of a rational function by shifting the function horizontally or vertically, or by changing the location of any vertical asymptotes. It can also change the behavior of the function at certain points, such as causing the function to have a hole or a jump discontinuity.