Surface Volume in 4-d graph: Euclidean Geometry Question

In summary, the "Volume" over E is:the triple scalar product of differentials in your volume element, which is the Jacobian of r.
Edwin
"Surface Volume" in 4-d graph: Euclidean Geometry Question

Suppose you have a smooth parametrically defined volume V givin by the following equation.

f(x,y,z,w)= r(u,s,v) = x(u,v,s)i + y(u,v,s)j +z(u,v,s)k + w(u,v,s)l

Consider the vectors ru=dr/du, where dr/du is the partial derivitive of r with respect to the parameter u. Similarly, rv = dr/dv, rs=dr/ds are the partial derivitives of r with respect to the parameters v and s, respectively.

I presume that ru(u0,v0,s0), rv(u0, v0, s0), and rs(u0,v0,s0) form a three dimensional parallelpiped that represents the rate of change of the three dimensional surface volume in four dimensional Euclidean space.

The angle theta between ru and rv is arccosine((ru*rv)/(|ru||rv|))

Similarly, the angle phi between ru and rs is arccosine((ru*rs)/(|ru||rs|).

The height h1 of the parallelogram p1 formed by ru and rv is the magnitude of the projection of rv onto the perpindicular of p1 and is equal to
|rv|sin(theta). The area A1 of this parallelogram is
|ru|*h1 = |ru||rv|sin(theta).

The height h2 of the parallelogram p2 formed by ru and rs is the magnitude of the projection of rs onto the perpindicular of p2, and is equal to |rs|sin(phi)
The area of A2 of this parallelogram is |ru|*h2 = |ru||rs|sin(phi).

The volume of the parallelpiped V = the area of either of the parallelograms times the height of the other parallelgram.

A2*(h1) = A1*(h2) =|ru||rv||rs||sin(phi)*sin(theta)|

Based on this, I conjecture the following:

If a smooth parametrically defined volume V is givin by the following equation:

r(u,s,v) = x(u,v,s)i + y(u,v,s)j +z(u,v,s)k + w(u,v,s)l

Where (u,s,v) are elements of E, and

V is covered just once as (u,v,s) varies throughout the parameter domain E, then the "Surface Volume" is

the tripple integral over E of =|ru||rv||rs||sin(phi)*sin(theta)|dV

Where the angle theta is arccosine((ru*rv)/(|ru||rv|)),
and the angle phi is arccosine((ru*rs)/(|ru||rs|).

Does this sound accurate?

Inquisitively,

Edwin

Physics news on Phys.org
One other thought.

If a smooth parametrically defined volume V is givin by the following equation:

r(u,s,v) = x(u,v,s)i + y(u,v,s)j +z(u,v,s)k

Where (u,s,v) are elements of E, and

V is covered just once as (u,v,s) varies throughout the parameter domain E, then the "Volume" over E is:

the tripple integral over E of |ru*(rv X rs)|dV

This is based on the parallelpiped formed by ru, rv, rs, which represent the change in volume of the solid parametrically defined in 3-space. Here the cross product works because we have three dimensional vectors defining our volume. It is sort of an analogue to the typical method of finding surface area of a smooth 3-d function in three dimensional space when the surface is traversed exactly once as (u,v) vary throughout the domain D, and the vectors partial derivitaves ru, and rv are continuous and exist over the entire domain D. This surface area is the

double integral over D |ru X rv|dA

Where

r(u,v) = x(u,v)i + y(u,v)j + z(u,v)k

and ru is the partial derivitive of r(u,v) with respect to u, while holding v constant.

and rv is the particle derivitive of r(u,v) with respect to v, while holding u constant.

Does this seem accurate?

Inquisitively,

Edwin

Tested it out, the technique in the second post works, and interestingly enough, doesn't require the jacobian correction factor! I'll give specific details on my next post by deriving the equation for the sphere using spherical coordinates and integrating over the E using the method above...

Until then!

Good Day!

Best Regards,

Edwin

p.s. The function "r(u,s,v) = x(u,v,s)i + y(u,v,s)j +z(u,v,s)k" should read
"r(u,v,s) = x(u,v,s)i + y(u,v,s)j +z(u,v,s)k."

Last edited:
Edwin said:
Tested it out, the technique in the second post works, and interestingly enough, doesn't require the jacobian correction factor!
The triple scalar product of differentials in your volume element is the Jacobian of r.

Ah-ha!

That explains why it works!

So it's really just integrating the function 1, and the |ru*(rv X rs)| is the jacobian correction factor! Got it!

Thanks Hypermorphism, I appreciate your clarification on that. By the way, do you know whether the first post is correct?

Inquisitively,

Edwin

1. What is surface volume in a 4-dimensional graph?

Surface volume in a 4-dimensional graph refers to the amount of space occupied by the surface of a 4-dimensional object in Euclidean geometry. It is a measure of the three-dimensional space contained within the boundaries of the 4-dimensional object.

2. How is surface volume calculated in a 4-dimensional graph?

To calculate surface volume in a 4-dimensional graph, you would need to use the concept of hyperspace, which involves taking the cross-sectional area of the 4-dimensional object and multiplying it by the distance between the two boundaries in the fourth dimension. This can be represented mathematically as V = A x d, where V is the surface volume, A is the cross-sectional area, and d is the distance in the fourth dimension.

3. What are some real-world applications of understanding surface volume in 4-dimensional graphs?

Understanding surface volume in 4-dimensional graphs can have various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It can be used to model and analyze complex objects and systems in these fields, leading to advancements in areas like particle physics, aerodynamics, and 3D animation.

4. How does surface volume in a 4-dimensional graph differ from surface area in a 3-dimensional graph?

The main difference between surface volume in a 4-dimensional graph and surface area in a 3-dimensional graph is the inclusion of an additional dimension. While surface area in a 3-dimensional graph refers to the amount of space occupied by the surface of a 3-dimensional object, surface volume in a 4-dimensional graph takes into account the boundaries in the fourth dimension as well.

5. Can surface volume in a 4-dimensional graph be visualized?

It can be challenging to visualize surface volume in a 4-dimensional graph as it involves an extra dimension that is not present in our three-dimensional physical world. However, with the use of mathematical models and computer simulations, it is possible to represent and understand surface volume in 4-dimensional graphs.