How to detect Cylinder not moving?

• Thread starter nickchow
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cylinder
In summary, the conversation discusses alternative methods for detecting if a cylinder is not moving to the end stroke besides using an end reed switch. These include using an electronic tachometer or a microswitch at the end of physical motion. Another suggestion is to use a flow meter or flow switch, although these may be more expensive options. The speaker also mentions checking with vendors for any new products that may be available.
nickchow
Cylinder is Compress Air driven. Now my Customer want to konw if there is any other method to detect the Cylinder is not moving to end Stroke other than using End Reed Switch as Detection. Air from Solenoid Valve is control at 1~2Bar to Air Cylinder. Is there anything that can be fix between Solenoid Valve and Cylinder to detect that the Cylinder is jam in the middle?

Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You might consider an electronic tachometer. There are several styles available and can convert an rpm to 4-20 mA signal.

Give Festo a ring, or some one in the same a trade.

Last edited:
You can put a microswitch at the end if physical motion rather then a reed switch. I do not know of any way to do this at the solenoid.

thks to all. i chked with few vendors couple of months back. They don't have such product. I will check with them again this time, maybe they have something new.

We done something using Sensor but that was a Rodless Cylinder which is much easier. This time, this is a Rod Cylinder.

Probably using a Flow Meter can work but Flow Meter is pretty ex ;>

nickchow said:
Probably using a Flow Meter can work but Flow Meter is pretty ex ;>
Along these lines, just consider a flow switch.

1. How can I tell if a cylinder is not moving?

To detect if a cylinder is not moving, you can use a variety of methods such as using a motion sensor, monitoring the position of the cylinder with a camera, or analyzing the pressure inside the cylinder. These methods will help you determine if the cylinder is stationary or in motion.

2. What causes a cylinder to not move?

There can be several reasons why a cylinder is not moving. Some common causes include mechanical issues such as a faulty motor or piston, blockage in the cylinder's flow path, or lack of power supply to the cylinder. It is important to troubleshoot and identify the root cause of the issue in order to fix it.

3. How do I troubleshoot a cylinder that is not moving?

To troubleshoot a cylinder that is not moving, you can follow these steps: 1. Check for any mechanical issues such as a stuck piston or faulty motor. 2. Inspect the cylinder's flow path for any blockages. 3. Verify that the power supply is functioning correctly. 4. Use a multimeter to check if there is any electrical current reaching the cylinder. 5. If all else fails, consult a professional for further assistance.

4. Can a cylinder that is not moving be dangerous?

It depends on the type of cylinder and the substance it contains. If the cylinder contains a hazardous material, it can pose a risk if it is not moving correctly. It is essential to address any issues with a cylinder promptly to prevent any potential hazards.

5. How can I prevent a cylinder from not moving?

To prevent a cylinder from not moving, it is crucial to conduct regular maintenance and inspections on the cylinder. This includes checking for any mechanical issues, ensuring the flow path is clear, and monitoring the power supply. It is also essential to follow proper handling and storage procedures for the cylinder to prevent any damage or blockages.