Is there a table of Abel transforms for Gaussian distributions available?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of finding a table of transforms for an Abel transform on a Gaussian distribution, as well as the use of an analytical solution to reconstruct an image from a Gaussian distribution. The solution for the transform is described as f(r) -> f(x): exp(-r2/2σ2) -> (2π)1/2σ*exp(-x2/2σ2), with the added constant not affecting the value of sigma. There is a discussion on whether the distribution should appear narrower when viewing the line integral.
Mr Boom
Hello. I'm wondering if anyone has a table of transforms showing the result of an Abel transform on a Gaussian distribution. I have been unable to find the solution to this. Many thanks for any help. I'm reconstructing an an image from a picture that fits a Gaussian very well, hence I'm hoping to just use an analytical solution.

Dave

Physics news on Phys.org
and the answer is...

So I found the solution described as f(r) -> f(x):

exp(-r2/2σ2) -> (2π)1/2σ*exp(-x2/2σ2)

The added constant does not change the the value of sigma so, which doesn't make sense to me. When viewing the line itegral, shouldn't the distribution appear more narrow?

Last edited:

FAQ: Is there a table of Abel transforms for Gaussian distributions available?

1. What is the Abel transform of Gaussian?

The Abel transform of Gaussian is a mathematical operation that is used to convert a Gaussian function (also known as a normal distribution) into a radial function. It is named after mathematician Niels Henrik Abel and is commonly used in image processing and signal analysis.

2. How is the Abel transform of Gaussian calculated?

The Abel transform of Gaussian is calculated by integrating the Gaussian function with respect to the radial distance from the center. The resulting function is known as the Abel transform of the Gaussian function.

3. What is the purpose of the Abel transform of Gaussian?

The Abel transform of Gaussian has many applications, including image reconstruction, deconvolution, and particle sizing. It is also used in spectroscopy and other scientific fields to analyze data and extract useful information.

4. Is the Abel transform of Gaussian reversible?

No, the Abel transform of Gaussian is not reversible. This means that once the transform is applied, the original Gaussian function cannot be recovered. However, the inverse Abel transform can be used to recover the original function under certain conditions.

5. What are some limitations of the Abel transform of Gaussian?

One limitation of the Abel transform of Gaussian is that it assumes the Gaussian function is radially symmetric. It also has limited applicability for functions with rapidly changing values near the center. Additionally, it can be sensitive to noise in the data and may require filtering or smoothing techniques to improve accuracy.