How to get the normal bivector to a surface?

In summary, the normal bivector to a surface can be constructed by using the hypersurface with constant t and r in a D-dimensional Lorentzian (or Riemann) manifold. The binormal can be obtained by choosing appropriate coordinates and using the Hodge dual. This approach can be applied in both the context of Frenet-Serret theory in E^3 and minimal surfaces in E^4.
HolyPhia
How to get the normal bivector to a surface??

Given a surface [tex]f(x)=0[/tex] in a manifold, for examle [tex]R^n[/tex], its normal vector can be constructed as [tex]{\partial}^{\mu}f[/tex].

But i don't know how to construct the so-called normal bivector (or binormal) to this surface. It has the form as [tex]{\epsilon}_{\mu \nu}[/tex]...

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to be more specific, I think. Is this in the context of Frenet-Serret theory in E^3? Or in say the context of minimal surfaces in E^4?

Thank you, i think I've got it.

For example, given a D-dimensional Lorentzian(or Riemann) manifold as [tex](M,g_{ab})[/tex] as
[tex] ds^2 = g_{tt}dt^2 + g_{rr}dr^2 + f(r)d{\Omega}^2_{D-2}[/tex],
then the hypersurface with constant t and r is a (D-2)-dimensional sphere. The point is that this sphere is of co-dimension 2. So its normal is a bivector.

We may get its binormal as follows:
First we choose the coordinates as [tex]\{ t,r,x^1,\cdots,x^{D-2} \}[/tex], in which [tex]\{x^1,\cdots,x^{D-2}\}[/tex] are coordinates on [tex]S^{D-2}[/tex]. Then we have the nature volume element on the (D-2)-sphere as
[tex]\tilde{\epsilon}=\frac{1}{(D-2)!}\sqrt{h}{\epsilon}_{a_1 \cdots a_{D-2}}dx^{a_1}\wedge \cdots \wedge dx^{a_{D-2}}[/tex].
Here h is the determinant of metric on the sphere.
Then we can use the standard "Hodge dual" to get the binormal as
[tex]*(\tilde{\epsilon}) = *\left( \frac{1}{(D-2)!}\sqrt{h}{\epsilon}_{a_1 \cdots a_{D-2}}dx^{a_1} \wedge \cdots \wedge dx^{a_{D-2}} \right)= \cdots = \frac{1}{2} {\omega}_{\mu \nu} dx^{\mu} \wedge dx^{\nu}[/tex]
For [tex] x^{a_1},\cdots,x^{a_{D-1}}[/tex] is limited on the sphere, so the non-zero component of the above equation is [tex] \mu,\nu = t,r[/tex].
Finally we can get a 2-form as
[tex] \omega \equiv \frac{1}{2} {\omega}_{\mu \nu}dx^{\mu} \wedge dx^{nu} \equiv {\omega}_{t r} dt \wedge dr [/tex].
This is just the so-called binormal to the sphere [tex]S^{D-2}[/tex]. Of course, some normalization may be made.

Chris Hillman said:
You need to be more specific, I think. Is this in the context of Frenet-Serret theory in E^3? Or in say the context of minimal surfaces in E^4?

Last edited:

1. How do I calculate the normal bivector for a specific surface?

To calculate the normal bivector for a surface, you will need to determine the unit normal vector at each point on the surface. This can be done by taking the cross product of two tangent vectors at that point. Once you have the normal vector, you can use it to create the normal bivector by taking the outer product of the normal vector with itself.

2. Can I use the normal bivector to find the direction of maximum curvature on a surface?

Yes, the normal bivector can be used to find the direction of maximum curvature on a surface. The direction of maximum curvature is perpendicular to the normal bivector, so you can use the normal bivector to determine this direction at any point on the surface.

3. How can I visualize the normal bivector on a surface?

One way to visualize the normal bivector on a surface is by using a vector field plot. This will show the direction and magnitude of the normal bivector at different points on the surface. Another option is to use a surface plot with color mapping, where the color represents the magnitude of the normal bivector at each point.

4. Is the normal bivector always perpendicular to the surface?

Yes, the normal bivector is always perpendicular to the surface. This is because it is created using the outer product of the unit normal vector, which is always perpendicular to the surface at a given point.

5. Can I use the normal bivector to calculate the surface area of a 3D object?

Yes, the normal bivector can be used to calculate the surface area of a 3D object. This can be done by integrating the magnitude of the normal bivector over the surface of the object. However, this method may not be accurate for surfaces with high curvature or sharp edges.