Limits, find the smallest +ve number N

• Thread starter John O' Meara
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limits
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the smallest positive number N such that for each x in the interval (N,+infinity) the value of f(x)= \frac{x}{x+1} is within .01 units of L=1. The conversation also explores the definition of |f(x)-L|<\epsilon \mbox{ if } x > N, \epsilon>0, N>0 and how it applies to this problem. The conversation ends with a clarification on the argument needed to show that |\frac{-1}{x+1}| = |\frac{1}{x+1}| and keep N positive.
John O' Meara
Find the smallest positive number N such that for each x in the interval (N,+infinity) the value of [tex] f(x)= \frac{x}{x+1} [/tex] is within .01 units of L=1.
From the definition [tex]|f(x)-L|<\epsilon \mbox{ if } x > N, \epsilon>0, N>0[/tex]. It follows that [tex] |\frac{x}{x+1}-1| < \epsilon \mbox{ if } x > N \mbox{ therefore } |\frac{-1}{x+1}| < \epsilon \mbox{ if } x > N[/tex] Now if I move the minus sign across to epsilon I get [tex] |\frac{1}{x+1}| > -\epsilon \mbox{ if } x > N[/tex]. But epsilon is positive and so is x and so is N yet I will get a negative answer for N according to the last statement. Can anyone clarify the argument needed to get [tex] |\frac{-1}{x+1}| = |\frac{1}{x+1}|[/tex] so that N can remain positive? Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
i didn't read all that (have to catcha bus) but can't you just go x/(x+1) = 1-0.01 and solve for x?

Yes, you can just solve for x as you say.

John O' Meara said:
[tex]\left|\frac{-1}{x+1}\right| < \epsilon \mbox{ if } x > N[/tex] Now if I move the minus sign across to epsilon I get [tex] \left|\frac{1}{x+1}\right| > -\epsilon \mbox{ if } x > N[/tex]
How'd you do that?

P.S. use \left| and \right| to make big bars.

John O' Meara said:
Find the smallest positive number N such that for each x in the interval (N,+infinity) the value of [tex] f(x)= \frac{x}{x+1} [/tex] is within .01 units of L=1.
From the definition [tex]|f(x)-L|<\epsilon \mbox{ if } x > N, \epsilon>0, N>0[/tex]. It follows that [tex] |\frac{x}{x+1}-1| < \epsilon \mbox{ if } x > N \mbox{ therefore } |\frac{-1}{x+1}| < \epsilon \mbox{ if } x > N[/tex] Now if I move the minus sign across to epsilon I get [tex] |\frac{1}{x+1}| > -\epsilon \mbox{ if } x > N[/tex].
No, since that is an absolute value, it is larger that negative epsilon for all n.
[itex]|\frac{-1}{x+1}|= |\frac{1}{x+1}|< \epsilon[/itex] says that [itex]-\epsilon< \frac{1}{x+1}< \epsilon[/itex]

But epsilon is positive and so is x and so is N yet I will get a negative answer for N according to the last statement. Can anyone clarify the argument needed to get [tex] |\frac{-1}{x+1}| = |\frac{1}{x+1}|[/tex] so that N can remain positive? Thanks

Hurkyl, I used a numerical example -5< 4 therefore 5 > -4. Thanks for pointing out my error.Thanks all for the replies.

1. What are limits?

Limits are a fundamental concept in mathematics that describe the behavior of a function as the input approaches a certain value. It is used to analyze the behavior of functions and calculate the values of functions at certain points.

2. How do you find the smallest positive number, N?

To find the smallest positive number, N, you can use a technique called limit finding. This involves approaching the limit from both sides of the function. As the values of the input get closer to the desired value, the corresponding outputs can be used to determine the smallest positive number, N.

3. Can you explain the process of finding the limit?

To find the limit, you need to evaluate the function at values that are close to the desired value, both from the left and right sides. If the values of the function approach a single number as the input gets closer to the desired value, then that number is the limit.

4. What is the significance of finding the smallest positive number, N?

Finding the smallest positive number, N, is important because it helps to determine the behavior of a function at a specific point. It can also be used to solve equations and inequalities involving functions, and to find the maximum and minimum values of a function.

5. Are there any limitations to using limits to find the smallest positive number, N?

Yes, there are certain cases where limits may not exist or may be difficult to determine, such as when the function has a discontinuity or oscillates infinitely. In these cases, other methods may need to be used to find the smallest positive number, N.