A question on modular arithmetics

• Thread starter life is maths
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses how to solve the problem of showing that if p is a prime and x^2≡1(mod p), there are exactly two solutions for p>2. The attempt at a solution involves using the fact that p|x^2-1 and then factoring to (x+1)(x-1) = 0 (mod p). The conversation then delves into the concept of zero divisors in modular arithmetic and how it relates to solving equations. Ultimately, it is concluded that because p is a prime and p>2, there can only be two solutions.
life is maths

Homework Statement

Hi, my question is:

Show that if p is a prime, x2≡1(mod p) has exactly two solutions for p>2.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I did:
p|x2-1
Then for a number a;
pa=x2-1
pa+1=x2
x=[tex]\mp[/tex][tex]\sqrt{pa+1}[/tex]

But I did not use the fact that p is prime and greater than 2. Do you have any ideas? Thanks in advance.

This is not a homework but a suggested exercise before exam.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's more likely the problem is based on
[tex] x^2 - 1 = 0 (mod\ p) [/tex]
[tex] (x+1)(x-1) = 0 (mod\ p) [/tex]
and the facts about the "zero divisors" of mod p arithmetic.

Thank you, but we haven't learned zero divisors yet. Is it a subject related to rings?
Since I have no idea on that subject, do you have any ideas about how to solve it in another way? Thanks again :)

Yes, it is a topic in rings. It's also one of main reasons that people are interested in have a prime modulus.

If you can have non-zero numbers such a,b such that ab = 0 (mod K) then the mod K arithmetic is said to have "zero divisors". For example if you are solving

(x)(x+1) = 0 (mod 12) , you get one solution due to x = 3 because ( 3)(4) = 0 (mod 12).
You also can have the solutions x = 0 and x = 11. That's more than 2 solutions to this quadratic equation.

When the modulus is a prime number, you can solve an equation like
(x)(x+1) = 0 (mod p) just as you would solve it in ordinary algebra by assuming that one of the factors must be zero. That gives only two solutions.

Thanks, I think I understood the zero divisors, but I'm still a bit confused and couldn't actually constructed a good proof. I have (x+1)(x-1) = 0 (mod p) and what should I do next? Should I assume the factors are 0? How is it possible without knowing p? Thanks for your help.

life is maths said:
(x+1)(x-1) = 0 (mod p) and what should I do next? Should I assume the factors are 0?

Assume one or the other factor is zero. It's just like solving a quadratic equation by factoring.

How is it possible without knowing p?

Because p is a prime, so in its modular arithmetic there can't be two non-zero factors whose product is zero. Arithmetic modulo a prime has no zero divisors. And p > 2 so x+1 and x-1 can't be the same number.

1. What is modular arithmetic?

Modular arithmetic is a branch of mathematics that deals with the remainder of a division operation. It is often used to solve problems involving cyclic patterns or repeating sequences.

2. How is modular arithmetic different from regular arithmetic?

In regular arithmetic, numbers continue to increase without bound. In modular arithmetic, numbers are restricted to a fixed range and any operation that would result in a number outside that range "wraps around" to the other end of the range.

3. What are some real-world applications of modular arithmetic?

Modular arithmetic is used in many practical applications such as clock arithmetic, computing check digits, and cryptography. It is also used in computer science and engineering for tasks such as error detection and correction.

4. How is modular arithmetic used in cryptography?

In cryptography, modular arithmetic is used to encrypt and decrypt messages by performing calculations on numbers within a certain range. The security of many modern encryption algorithms, such as RSA, relies on the difficulty of solving certain modular arithmetic problems.

5. What are some common misconceptions about modular arithmetic?

One common misconception is that modular arithmetic is only useful for solving abstract mathematical problems. In reality, it has many practical applications in fields such as computer science, engineering, and cryptography. Another misconception is that it is a difficult concept to understand, when in fact it can be easily grasped with some basic knowledge of division and remainders.