Inclined plane 3d physics simulation

In summary, the conversation is about trying to program a 3d-physic simulation with bouncy collisions, friction, and inclined planes. The problem is how to split forces at an inclined plane, with the known equations F_n = F_g * sin(\alpha) and F_p = F_g * cos(\alpha). The goal is to have a general solution that works in any direction and angle of collision, with the use of normal and parallel forces. The suggested solution involves normalizing the vector from the point of impact to the center of mass of the colliding object and using the Dot Product to calculate the tangential gravitational force on the inclined plane.
shaolin
I try to program a 3d-physic simulation, with bouncy collisions, friction, etc. and i have a problems with splitting forces at an inclined plane. i know that

[tex] F_n = F_g * sin(\alpha) [/tex] and
[tex] F_p = F_g * cos(\alpha) [/tex]

[tex] F_n [/tex] ... normal force
[tex] F_p [/tex] ... parallel force
[tex] F_g [/tex] ... gravity force

but i would need this in general, in 3d and working in every dircetion. i don't know the angle of my collosion, but a normal
[tex] \vec{n} [/tex].

[tex] \vec{F_n} = \bar{F_g} * \vec{n} [/tex]

but i can't think of how to do the parallel force.
can anybody help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by shaolin
i know that

[tex] F_n = F_g * sin(\alpha) [/tex] and
[tex] F_p = F_g * cos(\alpha) [/tex]
I'm not sure what you're trying to do, but if [tex]\alpha[/tex] is the angle the inclined plane makes with the horizontal (and assuming gravity acts vertically):
[tex] F_n = F_g * cos(\alpha) [/tex] (directed out of the plane) and
[tex] F_p = F_g * sin(\alpha) [/tex] (directed down the plane)

I would normalize the vector from the point of impact to the center of mass of the colliding object. With a sphere, it should be simply the normal of the inclined plane.

The gravitational force tangential to the inclined plane will be the original graviatational force vector MINUS the Dot Product of the original gravitational force vector and the plane normal (magnitude) multiplied by the plane normal (direction).

(sorry if that is confusingly displayed - I am a bit clumsy with this message stuff...)

But it is easy enough to work out on a sheet of paper...

try to avoid using any sines or cosines etc...

1. How does an inclined plane work in 3D physics simulations?

An inclined plane is a simple machine that is used to reduce the amount of force needed to move an object up or down an incline. In 3D physics simulations, the inclined plane is modeled as a flat surface with a specific angle of inclination. Objects on the plane experience a component of their weight in the direction of the incline, which determines their acceleration.

2. What are the advantages of using a 3D physics simulation for inclined planes?

Using a 3D physics simulation allows for a more accurate representation of real-world scenarios involving inclined planes. It takes into account factors such as friction, mass, and angle of inclination, which can affect the movement of objects on the incline. This can help in understanding and predicting the behavior of objects on inclined planes in different situations.

3. How is the angle of inclination of an inclined plane calculated in 3D physics simulations?

The angle of inclination of an inclined plane is calculated using trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. These functions take into account the height and length of the incline to determine the angle. In 3D physics simulations, this angle is important as it affects the acceleration and force experienced by objects on the incline.

4. What are some real-life applications of inclined plane 3D physics simulations?

Inclined planes are used in various real-life applications, such as ramps for wheelchairs, car ramps, and conveyor belts. In 3D physics simulations, inclined planes can be used to design and test these structures to ensure they can safely support the intended load and operate efficiently.

5. How can inclined plane 3D physics simulations be used to teach physics concepts?

Inclined planes are commonly used as a teaching tool in physics to demonstrate concepts such as force, work, and energy. 3D physics simulations can enhance this learning by allowing students to interact with and observe the effects of different variables on the movement of objects on the incline. This can help students better understand these concepts and their real-life applications.