What is the distance within a point and why is it important to discuss?

• Thread starter biofine
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of distance between points and the idea of a point having a distance. The participants have different opinions on this, with one person mentioning the absolute difference between two numbers as a form of distance, and another pointing out that a point in pure mathematics has no width or length. The conversation also touches on the topic of magnifying a point and the example of buying a shirt for $100, but it is unclear how these relate to the concept of a point having a distance.
biofine
people discuss only distances between points but why not within a point itself ?
i think a point also has a distance, and the distance becomes zero just under some condition, which can be thought in the same way as when two opposite forces are canceled out in normal simple physical phenomena ?

you sure hear of the story of how to touch the moon with a finger in Budhism, people touch it by heart.

what do you think ? thanks a lot

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I think you're using lots of flowery words to attempt to say what is just true for plain mathematics, has nothing to do with forces cancelling, buddhism, or touching the moon. The distance between two real numbers is denoted |x-y|, and is called the absolute difference. It is 0 if x=y, since it is x-y, if x=>y, or y-x if x<=y.

I'm not entirely sure how to make sense of the notion 'a point has a distance'. It's like saying a table has a cat.

Perhaps you should explain why you think "a point also has a distance". It might help if you told us what your definition of "distance" is.

A 2D point is just a pair of numbers. Distance is only defined between points so how could one point have distance?

Well, when magnifying a point, you'll still get a point. It's not bigger, it's just it. It's not like a circle. (i.e when you magnify a circle, it becomes bigger). So, a point does not have a distance.

for example,

i buy myself a new t-shirt at $100

d(I->myself)=100
d(I->myself)=tshirt

abs(distance)=100-100=0

What's your point? :P Sorry. I don't understand what exactly you're trying to say...

Points are defined to have no width...they have no dimension.

doesn't this belong in the crackpot section or something?

biofine said:
for example,

d(I->myself)=100
d(I->myself)=tshirt

abs(distance)=100-100=0

Umm... What?

I did not know distance was measured in dollars!

In pure mathematics, a point merely has no width or length of itself. That kind of concept may work in engineerings or things similar.

I don't understand why such threads aren't locked.

biofine said:
for example,

Then you got ripped off on that shirt, but I still don't see how that has anything to do with a point having distance. :p

Last edited:
radou said:
I don't understand why such threads aren't locked.
Because it's just too much fun!

Actually, I was hoping that the OP would answer my questions and explain why he had said that. Since he hasn't bothered to respond, I'm locking this thread.

What is the definition of a point's distance?

A point's distance refers to the measurement of the space between two points in a straight line. It is the shortest distance between the two points.

How is a point's distance calculated?

A point's distance can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the square of the hypotenuse (longest side) of a right triangle is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides.

What unit of measurement is used for a point's distance?

The unit of measurement used for a point's distance can vary, but it is often measured in inches, feet, yards, centimeters, meters, or kilometers.

Why is a point's distance important in science?

A point's distance is important in science because it allows us to accurately measure and describe the physical space between objects, which is crucial in many scientific fields, such as physics, chemistry, and biology.

Can a point's distance be negative?

No, a point's distance cannot be negative. Distance is a scalar quantity, meaning it only has magnitude and no direction. Therefore, it is always a positive value.