What Science Books Have Intrigued you The Most

In summary, the conversation revolves around the search for a revolutionary science book that has shaped the speaker's perception of science. They mention a few potential books, including Solomons Organic Chemistry, Strauss PDE's, Sakkurai Modern quantum mechanics, and Riemann's works. They also discuss the importance of famous authors and mention Euclid's Elements as a particularly influential book.
bmed90
Name one science book that you have found to be revolutionary in shaping your perception of science whether it be mathematics biology astronomy physics chemistry or engineering.

It can even be a book about one of the great minds of science I.E Einstein, Plank, Platos, Aristotle, Da Vinci etc.

Give the author, date published, and one thing you remember about the book that really made you think, "wow that is just crazy"... or just say what the book generally encompasses in the text

Im currently looking for not a good book but a great book to read in my spare time. I want to read a book that will make me grow as a practitioner of science.

Physics news on Phys.org
Solomons Organic Chemistry was most likely it for me. My interests have completely shifted since then but organic chemistry was the first subject to capture me in such a way that I would spend hours and hours working through the textbook without taking the class. I just found organic chemistry a lot of fun. It was enjoyable to try and deduce mechanisms or to come up with a synthesis for a challenging molecule (If I were to recommend an organic book btw, it would not be this one).

Otherwise, the two textbooks I go back to the most for enjoyment are Strauss PDE's and Sakkurai Modern quantum mechanics. Neither of these are really spare time reading books though.

riemann's works. and euclid. and hilbert's geometry and the imagination, and courant's calculus, and mumford's books on algebraic geometry.

basically the more famous the author the better the book.

mathwonk said:
basically the more famous the author the better the book.

Newton's Principia?

Ooh, Euclid. I was a bit irritated when I had to work through the Elements last year, but looking back on it I'm glad my professor forced me to do it. It's really amazing to realize that someone had to be the first to recognize and prove the things we take for granted. It's certainly not easy reading, though. The principles are simple enough, but it's not in modern notation at all, and you really have to work through the proofs as you follow along to get the most out of it.

1. What makes a science book intriguing?

A science book can be considered intriguing if it presents complex scientific concepts in a way that is easy to understand for non-experts. It should also have a unique perspective or approach to the topic, and the author should be able to engage the reader's curiosity and interest throughout the book.

2. Can you recommend any science books that have intrigued you?

There are many science books that have intrigued me, but a few examples include "The Selfish Gene" by Richard Dawkins, "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking, and "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks" by Rebecca Skloot. All of these books offer fascinating insights into different areas of science and are written in an engaging and thought-provoking manner.

3. Do you think it is important for non-scientists to read science books?

Absolutely. Science books not only provide a deeper understanding of the world around us, but they also help to develop critical thinking skills and promote scientific literacy. Additionally, science books can be a source of inspiration and can spark an interest in scientific topics for non-scientists.

4. How do science books contribute to the advancement of science?

Science books play an important role in disseminating scientific knowledge and research findings to a wider audience. They can also inspire new ideas and theories, as well as encourage further research and experimentation. Additionally, science books can help bridge the gap between the scientific community and the general public, promoting a better understanding and appreciation of science.

5. Can science books be entertaining as well as educational?

Absolutely. Many science books are written in a way that is both informative and entertaining. Authors often use storytelling techniques and real-life examples to make complex scientific concepts more relatable and engaging. This not only makes the information more enjoyable to read, but it also helps readers to retain the information better.