Force in a multiple spring system

In summary, two springs with different spring constants are attached together, and their total spring potential energy can be calculated using the formula 1/2ks1^2 + 1/2ks2^2. To solve for s1 and s2, the equation F=ks1=ks2 is often used, but this equation is incorrect. The correct equation for unequal springs in series is k1s1=k2s2, as explained in the Wikipedia article on series and parallel springs. In a situation where there is a spring inside a spring with different unstretched lengths, the total potential energy can be related to find the maximum compression the springs will undergo to stop an object.
wahaj
There are two springs attached together (the second spring begins where the first one ends) and they both have different value for spring constant. The total spring potential energy can be found by the following formula
[tex] \frac{1}{2}ks_1^2 + \frac{1}{2}ks_2^2[/tex]
but to solve for s1 and s1 I saw the equation
[tex] F = ks_1 = ks_2 [/tex]
what is the logic behind the second equation? It seems to me that when we are finding the force in one spring we completely ignore the second spring.
In another situation consider two spring but this time there is a spring inside a spring and the spring that is inside has a different unstretched length that the one on the outside. How would I relate the total potential energy in this situation so I can find the maximum compression the springs will undergo in order to stop that object.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

FAQ: Force in a multiple spring system

1. What is a multiple spring system?

A multiple spring system is a system in which multiple springs are connected in series or parallel to exert a combined force. It is commonly used in mechanical and engineering applications to achieve a desired force or displacement.

2. How is force calculated in a multiple spring system?

In a series multiple spring system, the force exerted by each spring is equal and the total force is the sum of the individual forces. In a parallel multiple spring system, the displacement is equal and the total force is the sum of the individual forces multiplied by the number of springs.

3. What is the difference between a series and parallel multiple spring system?

In a series multiple spring system, the springs are connected end-to-end and the force is divided equally among the springs. In a parallel multiple spring system, the springs are connected side-by-side and the displacement is divided equally among the springs.

4. How do multiple spring systems affect overall stiffness?

The stiffness of a multiple spring system depends on the arrangement of the springs. In a series system, the overall stiffness is increased, while in a parallel system, the overall stiffness is decreased compared to a single spring.

5. Can a multiple spring system be used for non-linear force-displacement relationships?

Yes, a multiple spring system can be used to achieve non-linear force-displacement relationships by combining springs with different spring constants. This allows for a more flexible and customizable force-displacement curve.