How do the intensities change when using a polarization beam splitter?

In summary, the conversation discussed the use of a polarization beam splitter (PBS) to split an unpolarized beam into two beams with opposite polarization states. The PBS has one input port and two output ports. The first question asked about the intensity of the beams at each output port, which would be half of the input intensity. The second question was about the intensity at the input port when the two beams are combined at the output ports, which would be twice the intensity of the combined beams. It was mentioned that the amount of losses depends on factors such as the splitting ratio and wavelength. Options for reducing losses were also mentioned, such as using a PBS with antireflection coatings.
kingdomoff
Hi,

let's assume a polarization beam splitter (PBS) that splits the unpolarized beam into two beams with opposite polarization states.

pbs1.gif

The PBS has one input port and two output ports.

1) If input beam has an intensity I, what will be the intensity of beam at each output port, Iout1 and Iout2?

2) What will be an intensity of the beam at input port, when two beams are combined at output ports of PBS?

Science news on Phys.org
no it is not homework, it is my research. i need it to mount to my experimental setup. so before doing it i want to calculate losses and to know how much power will i loose using it.

There is no easy answer. It depends for example on the splitting ratio of the bs, the wavelength you are working at. If you just care about having as few losses as possible, you should consider using a bs with antireflection coatings at all surfaces, which matter. But usually the losses are not dramatic.

If your light intensity is so low that is does matter, you might also need to consider that you always have two input ports, even if there is just the vacuum field present at one of these ports. But this is usually only important at really low light levels like single photon experiments in quantum optics.

i've some assumptions, but I'm not sure that I'm in a right direction:

for the 1-case: the intensities at two output ports will be half of the input intensity.
Pout1,2[dBm]=Pin[dBm]-3dB

for the 2-case: the intensity at input port will twice the intensities of combined beams at output ports.
Pin[dBm]=Pout1,2+3dB

What is a polarization beam splitter?

A polarization beam splitter is an optical device that splits a beam of light into two beams with perpendicular polarizations. It is used to separate light based on its polarization state, which is the direction of its electric field oscillation.

How does a polarization beam splitter work?

A polarization beam splitter typically uses a birefringent crystal or a thin film coating to split the beam of light. These materials have different refractive indices for light polarized in different directions, causing the beam to split into two perpendicular polarization components.

What is the difference between a polarizing beam splitter and a regular beam splitter?

A regular beam splitter splits a beam of light into two equal intensity beams, regardless of the polarization state. A polarization beam splitter, on the other hand, separates light based on its polarization and can split a beam into two beams with different intensities.

What are the applications of a polarization beam splitter?

Polarization beam splitters are commonly used in optical systems for polarization control and analysis. They are also used in interferometers, telecommunications, and microscopy techniques such as fluorescence and confocal microscopy.

Are there different types of polarization beam splitters?

Yes, there are several types of polarization beam splitters, including cube, plate, and prism beam splitters. Each type has its own advantages and is used for different applications. Some beam splitters can also be adjusted to work at different wavelengths of light.