Projectile Motion on a Inclined Plane Problem

In summary, the conversation is about a friend who is running late for school and needs their bag thrown to them while they are running up a hill. The problem involves finding the maximum speed at which the bag can be thrown and the angle at which it should be thrown to reach the friend. The hint suggests using approximations for trigonometric functions and assuming a small angle for \alpha. The speaker also asks for the person to show their work so they can provide guidance.
Diff.Ed
Hi everyone ! My name is Sean. I'm a new member of this forum.
I couldn't do any attempts for this problem. Actually, i did many attemps but they went wrong.

Homework Statement

How can i solve this problem ?
Your friend is late for school and is running with a speed of [itex]v_f[/itex] up a hill which makes an angle of [itex]\theta[/itex] with the horizontal. Just as he run for t seconds he realizes that he has forgotten his schoolbag at the foot o the hill where you are standing. He cannot come back and he must keep running. So you have to throw the bag to him with the largest possible speed you can achieve, which is [itex]v_b[/itex]. If he is still running up the hill what is the angle, [itex]\alpha[/itex] (measured with respect to the inclined plane) with which you should throw the bag to him if the bag is to reach him ?
(Hint : Assume that [itex]\alpha[/itex] is small and use the necessary approximations to the trigonometric functions.)

Thank you.
Sean.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Show us some of your work.

Let's see some equations that you came up with, then we can tell you if you're headed in the right direction.

FAQ: Projectile Motion on a Inclined Plane Problem

1. What is projectile motion on an inclined plane?

Projectile motion on an inclined plane is when an object is launched or thrown at an angle on a surface that is not horizontal.

2. What are the key factors that affect projectile motion on an inclined plane?

The key factors that affect projectile motion on an inclined plane are the initial velocity, the angle of inclination, and the force of gravity.

3. How is the angle of inclination on an inclined plane related to the range of a projectile?

The angle of inclination on an inclined plane is directly related to the range of a projectile. As the angle increases, the range decreases and vice versa.

4. How do you calculate the range of a projectile on an inclined plane?

To calculate the range of a projectile on an inclined plane, you can use the formula R = V02sin2θ/g, where R is the range, V0 is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of inclination, and g is the force of gravity.

5. What is the difference between projectile motion on a horizontal plane and an inclined plane?

The main difference between projectile motion on a horizontal plane and an inclined plane is that on an inclined plane, there is an additional component of motion due to the angle of inclination, whereas on a horizontal plane there is only the horizontal component of motion.