How Can You Increase Air Pressure in Pipes?

In summary, the question is whether there is a way to raise the air pressure inside a pipe that is connected to larger sections that open to the atmosphere. One way to increase pressure is by injecting air with higher velocities, which can raise the total pressure (static head + velocity pressure head). Another option is to temporarily plug the end of the pipe to pressurize it. The amount of pressure needed and the size of the pipe will also affect the pressure gradient, with higher velocities leading to higher pressure at the other end. In some cases, such as in vent headers, the pressure at the outlet can be well above atmospheric.
Ruffian
Im not exactly sure if this is the right section of the forums, but here is my question; is there any way to raise the air pressure inside a pipe for example, the only thing is, both ends lead into larger sections that open to the atmosphere.

Air will be (for example) blown into the pipe from one end, is there anyway to raise the pressure of the air inside the pipe?

Physics news on Phys.org
As long as your pipe is communicated to atmosphere that too with larger section, static pressure can not be raised. But total pressure (Static head + Velocity pressure Head) can be raised by injecting air with higher velocities.

If you increase flow rate through a pipe high enough, you'll create a shock wave at the exit. Increasing the flow through the pipe further will continue to increase pressure inside the pipe.

If on the other hand, you're simply trying to pressurize the pipe (for example, to verify leak tightness as required by ASME piping code) the most common thing to do is to temporarily plug the end.

P.Ramesh said:
As long as your pipe is communicated to atmosphere that too with larger section, static pressure can not be raised. But total pressure (Static head + Velocity pressure Head) can be raised by injecting air with higher velocities.
Unless there is a wording issue there, you aren't correct. Static pressure does rise when you blow air through a pipe unless the walls of the pipe are perfectly smooth. At 1, 2, or 4 inches of water gage, it may not seem like a lot, but in a large duct or in a tight room, the forces can be enormous.

How much pressure are you looking for and how big is the section of pipe, Ruffian?

Thanx for the replies, so in order to raise the pressure inside the pipe, the 'faster' i can make the air flow through the pipe, the higher the pressure will be at the other end?

As for the amount of pressure, there is no number in particular, just heigher that what it would usuall be.
The pipe itself is not a cylinder, but has a rectangular cross-section, of say about, 10cm X 7cm

so in order to raise the pressure inside the pipe, the 'faster' i can make the air flow through the pipe, the higher the pressure will be at the other end?
Yes, there will be a pressure gradient in the pipe with the lowest pressure being at the opening and highest at the source. The pressure at the outlet can be well above atmospheric. Note this situation comes up quite often in vent headers, especially relief valve vent headers. I've seen vent headers with over 100 psi at the outlet.

1. How can I raise air pressure in pipes?

To raise air pressure in pipes, you can use a compressor or pump to inject air into the pipes. You can also close off the pipes and use a hand pump to manually increase the pressure.

2. Why would I need to raise air pressure in pipes?

Raising air pressure in pipes can be necessary for a variety of reasons. For example, if the pipes are experiencing low air pressure, raising it can help improve the flow of liquids or gases through the pipes. It can also help prevent leaks or blockages.

3. What are some potential risks of raising air pressure in pipes?

Raising air pressure in pipes can cause them to burst if the pressure becomes too high. It can also put strain on the pipes and fittings, potentially causing damage or creating weak points that can lead to future issues.

4. How do I determine the appropriate amount of air pressure to raise in pipes?

The appropriate amount of air pressure to raise in pipes depends on various factors such as the material and size of the pipes, the intended use of the pipes, and the pressure capacity of the pipes. It is important to consult with a professional or refer to the manufacturer's guidelines to determine the appropriate pressure level.

5. Are there any alternatives to raising air pressure in pipes?

In some cases, it may be possible to address issues with low air pressure in pipes by adjusting the flow rate or changing the layout of the piping system. However, raising air pressure may be necessary in situations where these alternatives are not effective.