English Careers / Double Majors

In summary, there are a variety of high paying jobs that can be achieved with an English degree, including journalism, technical writing, editing, and writing for publication. However, these jobs may require further education or specialization. Coupling an English degree with a science degree, such as Biology, can open up opportunities in fields such as technical writing and editing for science-related publications or law. It is important to find a balance between pursuing your passions and finding a stable career. Additionally, getting an education is not limited to a 4-year degree and you can always return to school to further your education.
Dooga Blackrazor
Does anyone know of any high paying jobs that can be achieved with an English degree(s)? What the the pay ranges?

Also, how does doing a double major work? Can this allow you to get a Bachelor's degree in say, Biology and English?

Physics news on Phys.org
My friend has a BA in English, it's a 4 year degree in the US if you are not familiar with it. Anyways according to him, "you can do two things with an English degree, work at mcdonalds or wipe your ___ with it." Now granted he is just one unhappy guy but the reality is with just an english degree alone it can be tough to find a job. Coincidently my friend is going to medical school, so the degree DID help him do that, since you need a 4 year degree to apply to medical school. Teaching is one option but the pay is really low for English teachers with just a four year degree. My cousin has an English PHD, now that is a different story, he's director of the English department at some private university so he makes decent money. But with just a four year degree it will be harder to find work. Of course I think that is the case for any major.

About Biology well I have "heard" there are many many biology majors, so again with just a bachelors it might be really tough. Now you say doing both English and Biology? Well if you really really do enjoy both fields then of course you should do it and of course you will eventually find a job I'm sure. Just do what you love and do it well and everything will work itself out in the end.

One thing about the biology and english degree is that it might take a lot more time, maybe a year and a half or so more than normal, depends on the course outlines etc, since they are very unrelated majors. If it was say, physics and math, then it would probably be about 1 year more than usual. The usual being 4 years.

Another thing about the biology and english major is that it leaves you room for options about what to do when you graduate. You will have the biology degree meanign you will most likely have all the pre-requisites for say medical school etc. You can also go to law school etc. There are many options out there, I would do some more reading and possibly look at the course outlines for the university you plan to attend and see what courses you will take and what interests you.

About jobs with the English degree you could also work for say a newspaper etc. Landing a job there might be harder, and there are probably degrees specific to journalism I imagine? The trick is to be really good at whatever you do.

Last edited:
There are specific degrees for journalism, and thanks for the information. I'll have to think about what I want to do still, but I'm sure I'll decide eventually. Regardless, it's really a shame that English isn't appreciated enough for English degrees to have more value.

Dooga Blackrazor said:
There are specific degrees for journalism, and thanks for the information. I'll have to think about what I want to do still, but I'm sure I'll decide eventually. Regardless, it's really a shame that English isn't appreciated enough for English degrees to have more value.
It is a shame, that's the case for many degrees. I wouldn't let my post deter you though, I'd wait for more input, and if you really love it, just go for it anyways. The last thing you want to do is get a degree in something you will hate doing. Remember my recommendation is just based off what my friend said and what I think in general, which probably is not very significant(I don't have an english degree). Also don't forget there is opportunity for further study in English if you enjoy it. What I mean is there is always masters and phd degrees out there.

Hi Dooga,

To answer your question; yes there are high paying jobs that can be had that are considered to be on the "conventional track" for an English major:

a) journalism as mentioned, although an easier route would be the journalism major
b) technical writing can pay very well once established with experience.
c) editing
d) writing for publication (could be fiction or non-fiction depending on the genre, political essays, etc). These kinds of jobs are really what you make them. Some are low paying, some high paying.
e) any kind of job where general literacy and good writing and analytical skills are valued. And this could be literally anything under the sun. Sales and marketing for example has a lot of liberal arts majors.

for your purposes, coupling a Biology and English degree together could lead you very easily into Technical Writing (for a biotech or consumer health company), and Editing, for trade publications, science mags, educational publishers, etc. Have you considered, for example, a science degree and a law degree? People that understand the science behind patents, for example, and who have a law degree, would be perfect for working in an intellectual property law practice or as in-house counsel to a technology firm.

I have fully experienced the disconnect between things you enjoy doing and things that pay the bills. However, I believe firmly that you can find balance in your professional life if you simply try hard enough.

And also, getting an education is not a 4 year event culminating in graduation. Dont get wrapped up in thinking that you are stuck with your degree. You can always return to school and get another degree.

There are really exciting things going on in science all the time. If you have the resources to complete a science major, I would highly recommend it. And if you want to couple it with a lib arts degree, all the better. You will be more rounded than most of your peers.

Heya Dooga,

I would like to echo phantom and yanoz and encourage you to consider a double degree. Here in Finland a quite big percentage of the people go to uni and a double degree is becoming more usual all the time.

Regarding high paying jobs, the only one not mentioned would be translator. I can not give you monthly salary ranges, but I have understood that their salaries are quite good, especially if they can take specialized works in any field (law, biology, whatever). Naturally, the double degree would be a benefit there as well...

1. What are some common career options for someone with a double major in English?

Some common career options for someone with a double major in English include writing and editing, publishing, teaching, public relations, and marketing. These majors can also lead to careers in law, journalism, and business.

2. How can a double major in English benefit my future career?

A double major in English can benefit your future career in several ways. It can enhance your critical thinking and communication skills, as well as your ability to analyze and interpret complex information. These skills are highly valued in many industries and can make you a desirable candidate for a wide range of job opportunities.

3. Is it necessary to have a double major in English to pursue a career in writing?

No, it is not necessary to have a double major in English to pursue a career in writing. While a degree in English can provide a strong foundation and improve your writing skills, it is not the only path to becoming a successful writer. Many successful writers have backgrounds in various fields, and what matters most is your passion for writing and dedication to honing your craft.

4. Can I combine a double major in English with a STEM field?

Yes, you can combine a double major in English with a STEM field. This combination can be beneficial, as it allows you to develop both your technical and communication skills. Having a strong foundation in both areas can make you a valuable asset in the workplace, particularly in industries that require a combination of technical knowledge and effective communication.

5. Are there any specific skills or courses in the English major that can be helpful for my career?

Yes, there are specific skills and courses in the English major that can be helpful for your career. Some of these skills include critical thinking, communication, research, and writing. Courses in literature, creative writing, and rhetoric can also be beneficial in developing these skills. Additionally, courses in technical writing and business writing can be useful for career paths in business or technical fields.