What are some benefits of participating in online homework help forums?

• Thread starter harvellt
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the appreciation of a first-year physics major for the homework help section of a forum. The student has only asked one question but received prompt and helpful responses, leading to a better understanding of their own mistakes. The conversation also emphasizes the importance of actively participating in helping others as a way to show gratitude and deepen understanding of the subject.
harvellt
I am a 1st year physics major and just found this place and love it for a lot of reasons, but I want to thank the people in the homework help section. I have only asked one question but got great prompt prodding to help me see where I was messing up, the biggest help has just been taking the time to type in the problem I have started to ask questions 6 times and 5 of those times by trying to format my equations and type in all my variables I have seen for my self the error of my math. It is also great reading some other peoples problems, like most of my math professors say "don't be scared to ask a question if you have it there is a good chance someone else dose to"
So anyway thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The homework helpers here put a lot of time into volunteering in the Homework forums, and it really makes a difference. It's nice to have a student realize this and say thanks. So, thank you for saying thanks! Even though I haven't had time to be around as much as some other helpers recently, I'll speak for them and say "Glad we could help!":smile:

Anyway, please stick around and continue asking questions and learning physics. Also, if there is a problem someone posted that you feel you can help with, feel free to help. This is the best way you can thank those who helped you. We need as many people helping as possible in the HH forums.

harvellt said:
... the biggest help has just been taking the time to type in the problem I have started to ask questions 6 times and 5 of those times by trying to format my equations and type in all my variables I have seen for my self the error of my math.

That's good to hear. Some people just delete or ignore that homework template. I like to respond to them with something more than "that's against the rules", so hearing that you can sometimes actually solve the problem by writing down the equations and attempting the solution is good information to pass on.

p.s. Welcome to PF harvellt :smile:

I'm sure that the HH's will all be very happy to hear how much they've helped.

Always so nice to hear that the forum has helped!

G01 said:
Also, if there is a problem someone posted that you feel you can help with, feel free to help. This is the best way you can thank those who helped you.

Not to mention fact, that helping others you can get much deeper understanding of the problem.

1. Why is it important to thank everyone?

Expressing gratitude is an important aspect of human communication and relationships. Thanking everyone acknowledges their contributions and shows appreciation for their efforts.

2. Who should I thank?

You should thank anyone who has played a role, big or small, in your success, whether it is coworkers, mentors, friends, or family members. It is also important to thank those who have supported you along the way.

3. How should I thank everyone?

There are many ways to express gratitude, such as saying thank you in person, writing a thank-you note, or giving a small gift. The most important thing is to be sincere and genuine in your gratitude.

4. When should I thank everyone?

It is important to thank everyone as soon as possible after their contribution or support. This shows that you value their efforts and are grateful for their help.

5. Is it necessary to thank everyone?

While it is not always necessary to thank everyone, expressing gratitude can strengthen relationships and make others feel appreciated. It is always a good idea to show appreciation for the efforts of others.