Improve Your Help Responses with These Tips | Get the Most Out of Online Help

• Thread starter epenguin
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a user expressing frustration with the lack of responses or thanks for their help on the website. They suggest that there should be more encouragement for users to be more responsive and appreciative. Other users chime in, with some agreeing and others sharing their experiences with being thanked for their help.
epenguin
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Is it only me, and if not was it ever thus?

I am now and long term a bit miffed by the majority of non-responses to my help after I have thought up something. If there are any following posts they are often only by other helpers. Just a thanks would be better than nothing, a solution would be better just in case it is wrong and also there are often some enlightening supplementary considerations. Like the man says in 'How to Prove It' when you've got the answer it's not finished! Maybe I am idealistic and all most students want is the answer to hand in and if we are a day late it has no value at all, though it also seems to me that answers do come as soon as anyone could reasonably expect.
:grumpy:

Would it be an idea for the site to encourage somehow a bit more responsiveness?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well that would tick me off too. But I've found most people to be very thankful for my help, and I try very hard to provide the minimum possible assistance.

epenguin, it makes me sad that someone that helps doesn't feel appreciated. The staff here greatly appreciates everyone that helps.

It's unfortunate that a lot of students come here demanding help and few stop to say thank you. Please don't feel discouraged.

Also, I've noticed the appreciation of help to be nearly directly proportional to the amount of effort explicitly shown in the original post.

I know it's rather uncommon, but as helpers we do occasionally get thanked by a student. I chalk it up to many students being under stress as they struggle with learning new material in who-knows-how-many different classes, and appreciate all the more those who take the time to post their appreciation.

1. What does "But answer came there none." mean?

The phrase "But answer came there none." is a commonly used idiom that means there was no response or reply given. It suggests that there was a lack of communication or a lack of understanding between two parties.

2. Where did the phrase "But answer came there none." originate?

The phrase "But answer came there none." can be traced back to Shakespeare's play, Hamlet, Act 1, Scene 1. The full line is "But answer came there none, and this was all I heard."

3. Is "But answer came there none." a grammatically correct sentence?

Yes, "But answer came there none." is a grammatically correct sentence. It follows the standard subject-verb-object structure and uses correct verb tense.

4. What is the significance of using "But" at the beginning of the phrase?

The use of "But" in this phrase adds emphasis to the lack of response. It suggests that an answer was expected or desired, but it did not come.

5. How is "But answer came there none." commonly used in modern language?

Today, "But answer came there none." is often used in a literary or dramatic context to convey a sense of mystery, uncertainty, or disappointment. It can also be used in a more casual manner to express a lack of response or understanding in a conversation.