Do You Deserve a Medal for DEs?

• Thread starter jackmell
  • Start date
In summary: Sometimes, often actually, the road to the right answer is strewn with wrong-turns. We have to try and be willing to accept the consequence of failure. My road in mathematics is filled with junk; I almost never get it right and am use to failure. So ok guys, may I apologize for creating noise about this matter and can we move on to more productive endeavors?
jackmell
Or no? You guys are good with DEs? I mean would we say PF has a strong presence in DEs? Most members good at them? Or are they formidable to lots of people?

Anyway, DEs are the language of science, of physics, of biology, and the stars. Would make sense to get good at them if you want to understand what's going on in the Universe.

And of course since I'm suggesting it, I would excuse myself from the group of contenders not like I'm good enough anyway but in case.

Physics news on Phys.org
What's wrong with the SA and HH medals?

Those are adequate and perhaps that's best; some people don't want to be recognized.

Maybe it's not such a good idea. Some people in here are really good at them though. :)

Greg Bernhardt said:
Maybe I am being daft, but what is DE?

Differential Equations.

What if I prefer to solve for the spectrum of hydrogen algebraically using the "hidden" SO(4) symmetry, instead of solving the Schrodinger DE directly? Would that mean that I can't get a DE medal?

George Jones said:
What if I prefer to solve for the spectrum of hydrogen algebraically using the "hidden" SO(4) symmetry, instead of solving the Schrodinger DE directly? Would that mean that I can't get a DE medal?

Can you get the wave functions too?

George Jones said:

Correct. And what's more, if you did work on the wave equation, I would fully expect you to do something novel with it in order to be in contention for a medal.

Last edited:
How do you think medals for specific skills would enhance the PF experience?

Ryan_m_b said:
How do you think medals for specific skills would enhance the PF experience?

I'm not sure it would. And it would require additional effort on the part of the mentors whom I assume are already pressed for time. I just have been noticing some good work in that sub-forum of late that's all.

jackmell said:
I'm not sure it would. And it would require additional effort on the part of the mentors whom I assume are already pressed for time. I just have been noticing some good work in that sub-forum of late that's all.

So essentially you are proposing something in which you yourself don't agree on.

Aren't you just creating noise here?

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
So essentially you are proposing something in which you yourself don't agree on.

Aren't you just creating noise here?

Zz.

Sometimes, often actually, the road to the right answer is strewn with wrong-turns. We have to try and be willing to accept the consequence of failure. My road in mathematics is filled with junk; I almost never get it right and am use to failure. So ok guys, may I apologize for creating noise about this matter and can we move on to more productive endeavors?

1. What is "Do You Deserve a Medal for DEs"?

"Do You Deserve a Medal for DEs" is a phrase that is commonly used in the scientific community to refer to the understanding and mastery of differential equations (DEs).

2. How are differential equations used in science?

Differential equations are used to model and describe various physical, chemical, and biological processes in science. They are essential in fields such as physics, engineering, and biology.

3. Why are differential equations important to study?

Studying differential equations allows scientists to understand and predict the behavior of systems in various fields. It also provides a powerful tool for solving complex problems and making accurate predictions.

4. How can one determine if they "deserve a medal" for their understanding of differential equations?

Earning a medal for understanding differential equations is subjective and depends on the individual's level of understanding and application of the concept. However, one can assess their understanding by solving challenging problems and applying DEs to real-world scenarios.

5. What are some resources for learning about differential equations?

There are various resources available for learning about differential equations, such as textbooks, online courses, and video lectures. Additionally, joining study groups or seeking guidance from experienced scientists can also be helpful in understanding DEs.