Abel Prize to Atiyah and Singer

• Thread starter selfAdjoint
  • Start date
In summary, Atiyah and Singer, creators/discoverers of the celebrated Atiyah-Singer Index Theorem, have been awarded the Abel Prize, which is considered the equivalent of the Nobel Prize for mathematics. This is the second year of the prize's existence, with previous recipient being Serre. The Fields medal, often referred to as the Nobel of mathematics, is awarded to mathematicians under the age of 40, while the Abel prize has no age restriction. Atiyah and Singer are not being rewarded for work after the age of 40, unlike the Fields medal. The creation of the Abel Prize provides a longer perspective on the impact of important mathematics, which may not be recognized by the Nobel Prize.
selfAdjoint
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
The creators/discoverers of the celebrated Atiyah-Singer Index Theorem have been awarded the http://www.abelprisen.no/en/ , which aims to duplicate the celebrity of the Nobel, for mathematics.

Singer was once asked politely by a reporter if he could explain the Atiyah-Singer index theorem in simple words for the newspaper's readers. Singer replied "No I can't"

Mathematics news on Phys.org
38 years after he [Atiyah] was awarded the Fields Medal for it. Not bad.

Are Atiyeh and Singer the first recipients of this prize?

It seems this is the second year of its existence. Serre got it last year.

Where does this put the Fields medal though? That is often thought of as Nobel of mathematics.

matt grime said:
Where does this put the Fields medal though? That is often thought of as Nobel of mathematics.

The Fields medal is awarded to mathematicians under the age of 40. There is no age restriction on the Abel prize as far as I know. This means you can get awarded if you do outstanding work after the age of 40. It also provides the jury with an opportunity for a longer and perhaps better perspective on which mathematics turned out to be really important.

Atiyah and SInger aren't being rewarded for work after the age of 40. (I thought it was 36 for the Fields Medal). And moreoever, the Nobel prizes aren't awarded for lifetime achivement or long term impact either. So why the need for the new parallel?

Not that anyone should think I am dismissing the achievements of Atiyah and Singer (though in their Fields medal year there were also Grothendieck, Cohen and Smale as a pause for thought, and at least one of those has arguably contributed more to mathematics, but I'm biased to the algebro-geometric not the analytic so I wouldn't trust me).

What is the Abel Prize and why was it awarded to Atiyah and Singer?

The Abel Prize is an international award given to mathematicians for outstanding contributions in the field of mathematics. It is considered to be one of the most prestigious awards in mathematics. Sir Michael Atiyah and Isadore Singer were awarded the 2004 Abel Prize for their work in the field of topology, specifically for their development of the Atiyah-Singer index theorem.

What is the Atiyah-Singer index theorem?

The Atiyah-Singer index theorem is a fundamental result in mathematics that relates the topology and geometry of a differentiable manifold to the properties of its corresponding analytic operators. It has applications in diverse areas such as theoretical physics, geometry, and topology.

What impact did Atiyah and Singer's work have on mathematics?

Their work on the Atiyah-Singer index theorem has had a profound impact on mathematics and related fields. It has provided a powerful tool for understanding the geometry and topology of manifolds and has led to further developments in the field of differential geometry.

How are the recipients of the Abel Prize selected?

The Abel Prize is awarded by the Norwegian Academy of Science and Letters, based on the recommendation of the Abel Committee. The committee consists of renowned mathematicians and is responsible for evaluating the nominations and selecting the recipient(s) of the prize.

What is the significance of Atiyah and Singer winning the Abel Prize together?

Atiyah and Singer's collaboration on the Atiyah-Singer index theorem was a significant and influential partnership in the field of mathematics. They were both highly accomplished mathematicians in their own right, and their joint work has had a lasting impact on the field. Their joint awarding of the Abel Prize serves as a recognition of their individual and collaborative achievements in mathematics.