Calculating resistance from voltage drop

In summary, to calculate the resistance of a component when you know the voltage drop caused by it, you can use Ohm's law to find the current through the circuit and then use the voltage and current measurements to calculate the resistance using R = E/I.
EdTheHead
On a test in college I was asked to find the current flowing through a resistor and lightbulb on a simple circuit with a battery, resistor and lightbulb. I was told the resistance of the resistor and was given a voltmeter so I measured the voltage across each of the components but when it came to calculating the current I couldn't because I didn't know the resistance of the lightbulb. I'm assuming I could have calculated its resistance since I knew the voltage drop caused by the resistor since I knew the resistance of the resistor. How would you go about calculating the resistance of a component when you know the voltage drop caused by it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ohm's law.

R = E/I

EdTheHead said:
How would you go about calculating the resistance of a component when you know the voltage drop caused by it?

Measure the voltage across the resistor, then I = E/R. Now you know the current through the circuit if it is a series circuit. Measure the voltage across the light bulb, then apply R= E/I.

1. How do I calculate resistance from voltage drop?

To calculate resistance, you can use the formula R = V/I, where R is resistance in ohms, V is voltage drop in volts, and I is current in amperes.

2. Can I use any units for voltage drop and resistance?

Yes, as long as they are consistent. For example, if you use voltage in volts and current in milliamperes, your resistance will be in ohms.

3. What if I only have the voltage drop and no current value?

If you only have the voltage drop, you can still calculate resistance using the formula R = V/I. However, you will need to know the current flowing through the circuit to get an accurate result.

4. Is there an easier way to calculate resistance from voltage drop?

Yes, you can use Ohm's law, which states that resistance is equal to voltage divided by current. This can be written as R = V/I.

5. Can I use this formula for both AC and DC circuits?

Yes, the formula for calculating resistance from voltage drop is applicable for both AC and DC circuits. However, in AC circuits, the resistance may vary due to the frequency and type of load.