Mastering Archery Adjustments: Solving for B with Known Variables A, C, and D

In summary, the group is discussing how to rearrange an equation to solve for B as a function of A, C, and D. The equation is a transcendental one, but can be solved using different methods. The group shares various solutions and suggests trying to isolate cos B and using a quadratic equation. They also confirm that the equation can be solved successfully.
wvguy8258
Hi,

It seems I've forgotten more of my algebra than I thought. I am putting together a spreadsheet to help a few archers determine how to change their point of aim for up- and downhill shots. I would like to reduce/rearrange the following expression so that A and B are not found on the same side of the equality, but after 30 minutes can't seem to do it. Ideally, I would like B to be a function of A,C, and D which are known in this setting. Any help is appreciated, even more so if the steps are sketched. -Seth

tan (A) = tan (B) - (9.8*cos(A)*C)/(2*(cos(B)*D)2)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I couldn't solve for B, I could get it to the form

f(B) = C / g(B)

but not any simpler.

wvguy8258 said:
Hi,

It seems I've forgotten more of my algebra than I thought. I am putting together a spreadsheet to help a few archers determine how to change their point of aim for up- and downhill shots. I would like to reduce/rearrange the following expression so that A and B are not found on the same side of the equality, but after 30 minutes can't seem to do it. Ideally, I would like B to be a function of A,C, and D which are known in this setting. Any help is appreciated, even more so if the steps are sketched. -Seth

tan (A) = tan (B) - (9.8*cos(A)*C)/(2*(cos(B)*D)2)

Surprisingly this is a transcendental equation that appears to be solvable, (as long as D/cos(A) is not zero).

The solutions are:

B = (1/2)*(asin(9.8*C*(cos(A))^2/D^2+sin(A))+A)

and

B = (1/2)*(-asin(9.8*C*(cos(A))^2/D^2+sin(A))+A-pi())

You will have to determine which root makes sense in your context.

If that fails use:

C = (tan(B)-tan(A))*2*(cos(B)*D)^2/(9.8*cos(A))

and use the goalseek function of your spreadsheet to find the value of B that gives you the known value of C.

Last edited:
If you want a go at it yourself, try isolating cos B, while remembering that tan B = sin B / cos B = +-root(1-cos ^2B)/cos B. The sign depends on B, but you will have to take care of that yourself. This will probably end up in a quadratic in cos ^2B, which you can then solve for and after that isolate B. Depending on the domain of B, you might have to consider several cases.

Thanks everyone. I feel a little better now that I see solving for B was not extremely trivial. This will be very helpful.

Jarle said:
If you want a go at it yourself, try isolating cos B, while remembering that tan B = sin B / cos B = +-root(1-cos ^2B)/cos B. The sign depends on B, but you will have to take care of that yourself. This will probably end up in a quadratic in cos ^2B, which you can then solve for and after that isolate B. Depending on the domain of B, you might have to consider several cases.
I can confirm that the equation does end up as a quadratic in (cos(B))^2. Nice key observation that tan B can be turned into cos B form, that makes the equation solvable!

BTW wvguy, does the equation appear to work all right?

Last edited:

1. What is algebra?

Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with symbols and the rules for manipulating those symbols to solve equations and analyze patterns.

2. Why is algebra important?

Algebra is important because it helps us solve real-world problems, make predictions, and understand relationships between variables. It is also the foundation for more advanced math courses and is used in many fields such as science, engineering, and economics.

3. How can I improve my algebra skills?

Practice and repetition are key to improving algebra skills. Start by understanding the basic concepts and rules, then work on solving a variety of problems. There are also many online resources and tutorials available to help with specific topics or areas you may be struggling with.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid in algebra?

Some common mistakes in algebra include forgetting to distribute negative signs, mixing up signs when combining like terms, and not following the correct order of operations. It's important to carefully check your work and be aware of these common errors.

5. Can I use a calculator for algebra?

While calculators can be helpful in some cases, it's important to learn and understand the concepts and methods of solving algebra problems without relying on a calculator. This will help you develop problem-solving skills and be better prepared for more advanced math courses. However, calculators can be useful for checking your work or for more complex calculations.