What are the links between organic chemistry and biochemistry

In summary, understanding biochemistry is crucial in medicine as it helps in comprehending how the body reacts to drugs and other chemical processes. Organic chemistry serves as the foundation of biochemistry, making it necessary to have a strong understanding of organic compounds in order to fully grasp biochemistry and its applications in medicine. It is also worth noting that knowledge of biochemistry is essential for studying other fields such as metabolism, nutrition, physiology, genetics, and pathology. Therefore, a solid foundation in chemistry, particularly organic chemistry, is crucial for anyone pursuing a career in medicine.
hebienub
and why is biochemistry important in medicine?

I kind of know why, but i can't find that much information so I am stuck and i need a bit of help if anyone could help me?

Ive read that organic chemistry serves as a basis of biochemistry and biochemistry is the study of chemical processes in biological systems or something does that mean organic chemistry helps indentify the drug or whatever and biochemistry helps understand how the body would react to that specific drug?

Does that even make sense? it makes sense in my head x)
So yeah help would be nice lol.:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't know where to even start but don't even think you can study medicine without sound preparation in chemistry, preferably also at school before college, you will be very unhappy if you do and have trouble understanding biochemistry (and metabolism, nutrition, physiology, genetics, all sorts of pathology, etc.). That is true today and will be more true tomorrow.

Your description in #1 is a strong start in answering your own question.

Organic Chemistry = compounds of carbon.
Biochemistry = chemistry of life processes and compounds, all or nearly all of such compounds being organic. Note also the topic of Inorganic Biochemistry; do you know what hemoglobin is? Chlorophyl? Big organic ligands complexed to a metal ion.

Last edited:
thanks!
it was for an assignment but i finally finished it and i think its good :P and my chemistry course is nearly over besides next year sciences arent compulsory, so I am definately not doing that so yay hehe.

hebienub said:
thanks!
it was for an assignment but i finally finished it and i think its good :P and my chemistry course is nearly over besides next year sciences arent compulsory, so I am definately not doing that so yay hehe.

What were you really expected to do instead of ask the assigned question on an internet forum? Maybe epenguin and I should have asked you how you found your question. Without knowing how this question occurred, readers may simply believe that you were only curious, but not that the original question was an assignment.

symbolipoint said:
What were you really expected to do instead of ask the assigned question on an internet forum? Maybe epenguin and I should have asked you how you found your question. Without knowing how this question occurred, readers may simply believe that you were only curious, but not that the original question was an assignment.

Actually the assignment was to choose a subtopic of organic chemistry or something like that so i chose to do a report on the importance of organic chemistry in medicine, and i was going to talk about how it is important to understand organic chemistry beucase it helps you understand biochemistry and stuff and i had already written information done but i wasn't sure if it was enough so yeah, but i handed in the assignment before i got any replies anyway.

You seem to have handled your idea fairly well. Your impression of the relation among the three fields is good. One should learn some Organic Chemistry because it is needed for styding Biochemistry; knowledge of Biochemistry is useful/important in studying Medicine. Some of this may seem unclear to a high school student.

In the old days, one would look for information from encyclopedias, dictionaries, and various scientific textbooks to find how information from various fields are related; today, we can also search for information on an internet with internet search engines. You do not need to depend on getting responses on an internet forum, at least for the question which you asked in this topic. (note, I assumed you are a high school student - possibly an incorrect assumption)

1. What is the difference between organic chemistry and biochemistry?

Organic chemistry is the study of compounds containing carbon, while biochemistry is the study of chemical processes and substances in living organisms.

2. How are the concepts of organic chemistry applied in biochemistry?

Organic chemistry principles, such as functional groups, reaction mechanisms, and stereochemistry, are used to understand and manipulate the chemical reactions and structures of biomolecules in biochemistry.

3. What are some examples of organic compounds found in living organisms?

Organic compounds found in living organisms include carbohydrates, lipids, proteins, and nucleic acids. These compounds are essential for life processes, such as metabolism, growth, and reproduction.

4. What are the roles of enzymes in the link between organic chemistry and biochemistry?

Enzymes are biological catalysts that facilitate chemical reactions in living organisms. They are typically proteins and their structures and functions are determined by the principles of organic chemistry.

5. How can understanding organic chemistry help in the development of new drugs or treatments?

Many drugs and treatments are designed to target specific biomolecules in the body, such as enzymes or receptors. Understanding the chemical properties and interactions of these biomolecules requires knowledge of organic chemistry, which can aid in the development of new and more effective drugs and treatments.