Differentiation With 'x' Both in Base and in Exponent

In summary, the easiest way to find the derivative of a function where x is in the base and exponent is to use the exponential form. This involves taking the natural logarithm of both sides and applying the product rule. The correct derivative is the sum of two mistaken derivatives, which can also be seen in a similar problem with an infinitely nested exponent.
modulus
I have just begun studying differentiaition and I was getting confused with how to differentiate a function of x in which x is in the base and is in the exponent as well (for example, x^2x) with respect to a=hte cahnge in 'x'.
I remember my teacher telling me something about applying log, but, I got kinda drowsy... I wasn't able to learn it properly... now I need help... hehehe...

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The easiest way that I know how to find this derivative is to re-write:
[tex]x = e^{\ln(x)}[/tex]

So we have:
[tex]f(x) = x^{2x} = e^{2x\ln x}[/tex]

[tex]f'(x) = \dfrac{d}{dx}e^{2x\ln x} = e^{2x\ln x}\dfrac{d}{dx}(2x\ln x) = x^{2x}(\frac{2x}{x} + 2\ln x) = 2x^{2x}(1 + \ln x)[/tex]

Last edited:
pbandjay use the exponential form. What your teacher was talking about was this:
to differentiate x2x, write y= x2x and take the natural logarithm of both sides: ln(y)= ln(x2x)= 2x ln(x). Now differentiate both sides. On the left, the derivative of ln(y), with respect to x, is (1/y) y'. On the right, use the product rule: (2x ln(x))'= (2) ln(x)+ (2x)(1/x)= 2ln(x)+ 2. So (1/y)y'= 2ln(x)+ 2 and y'= (2ln(x)+ 2)y= (2ln(x)+ 2)x2x.

A rather amusing point: There are two obvious mistakes one could make in differentiating f(x)g(x):

1) Treat g(x) as if it were a constant. Then you get (f(x)g(x))'= g(x)(f(x))g(x)-1f'(x)- which is, of course, wrong.

2) Treat f(x) as if it were a constant. Then you get (f(x)g(x))'= f(x)g(x) ln(f(x))g'(x)- which is also wrong.

To do it correctly, we can let y= f(x)g(x) so that ln(y)= ln(f(x)g(x))= g(x)ln(f(x) and differentiate both sides, using the product rule on the right.

(1/y) dy/dx= g'(x)ln(f(x)+ (1/f(x))g(x)f'(x) and, since y= f(x)g(x),
dy/dx= (f(x)g(x))'= f(x)g(x)ln(f(x)g'(x)+ f(x)g(x)-1f'(x),

the sum of the two mistaken derivatives!

HallsofIvy said:
the sum of the two mistaken derivatives!

part of the general method called "the chain rule for partial derivatives" which you (the OP) will meet later.

Another one:
Two mistaken ways to differentiate a product [tex]f(x) g(x)[/tex] ... in one you think that [tex]f(x)[/tex] is constant, in the other you think that [tex]g(x)[/tex] is constant. BUT the product rule, the correct derivative, is just the sum of these two mistaken derivatives.

One problem I have always liked a lot that is very similar to this one is
[tex]y=x^{x^{x^{.^{.^{.}}}}}[/tex]

To differentiate we can re-write: y = xy and apply the logarithm.

y=xy
Re-write: ln(y) = y ln(x)
Differentiate: y'/y = y/x + y' ln(x)
Re-arrange: y'/y - y' ln(x) = y/x ==> y'(1/y - lnx) = y/x ==> y'(1 - y lnx) = y2/x
Isolate y': y' = y2/[x(1 - y lnx)]

We have
[tex]y'= \frac{(x^{x^{x^{.^{.^{.}}}}})^2}{x(1-(x^{x^{x^{.^{.^{.}}}}})\ln x)}[/tex]

1. What is differentiation with 'x' both in base and in exponent?

Differentiation with 'x' both in base and in exponent refers to the process of finding the derivative of a function where the independent variable (usually denoted as 'x') is present both in the base and in the exponent.

2. Why is differentiation with 'x' both in base and in exponent important?

Differentiation with 'x' both in base and in exponent is important because many real-world applications involve functions with exponential growth or decay, where 'x' appears in both the base and the exponent. Being able to find the derivative of these functions allows us to analyze their rates of change and make predictions about their behavior.

3. What is the general formula for differentiating a function with 'x' both in base and in exponent?

The general formula for differentiating a function with 'x' both in base and in exponent is: y = axbx, where a and b are constants. The derivative of this function is given by: dy/dx = (a*bxb-1)*(1 + ln(x)).

4. Are there any special cases to consider when differentiating a function with 'x' both in base and in exponent?

Yes, there are a few special cases to consider when differentiating a function with 'x' both in base and in exponent. For example, if the base is a constant, the derivative will simply be the original function multiplied by ln(x). If the exponent is a constant, the derivative will be the original function multiplied by the exponent.

5. How can I practice and improve my skills in differentiating functions with 'x' both in base and in exponent?

The best way to practice and improve your skills in differentiating functions with 'x' both in base and in exponent is to solve various practice problems and work through different examples. You can also try to create your own problems and solve them, or seek out online resources and tutorials to help you further understand the concept.