How do I factor a trinomial with x^3?

• Thread starter jacksonbobby5
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Factoring
In summary, to factor a trinomial with x^3, you can use methods for finding the roots such as the rational root theorem to simplify it into a quadratic and then solve for the roots.
jacksonbobby5
I need help trying to factor a trinomial. It has been a while, and I can't remember how to factor a trinomial with x^3. Please help.

Sample problem...

X^3 - 4X^2 + 5

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Since factoring is the same problem as finding the roots, such a cubic can always be factored using tedious methods for solving for the roots.

If you can find any root by inspection you can reduce it to a quadratic and you are home free. So I would look for rational roots which in this case will quickly find one. See

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rational_root_theorem

What is factoring trinomials?

Factoring trinomials is the process of finding two binomials that when multiplied together, result in a given trinomial expression. It is a fundamental concept in algebra and is used to simplify and solve equations.

What is the general form of a trinomial?

A trinomial is an algebraic expression with three terms in the form of ax^2 + bx + c, where a, b, and c are constants and x is a variable.

What is the difference between factoring and expanding trinomials?

Factoring trinomials involves finding the binomial factors of a given trinomial, while expanding trinomials involves simplifying a binomial expression into a trinomial expression.

What are the common methods used for factoring trinomials?

The common methods used for factoring trinomials are the trial and error method and the quadratic formula. The trial and error method involves finding two binomial factors that when multiplied together, result in the given trinomial. The quadratic formula is a formula used to solve quadratic equations and can also be used to factor trinomials.

What are the applications of factoring trinomials?

Factoring trinomials has many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is used to solve equations, find roots, and simplify expressions. It is also used in graphing quadratic functions and solving real-life problems such as finding the dimensions of a rectangle given its area and perimeter.