Light as a source of electricity

In summary, light can be used as a source of electricity through the process of photovoltaic conversion. This involves using materials, such as silicon, that can absorb photons from light and convert them into electrical energy. This technology is commonly used in solar panels to generate electricity for various purposes, such as powering homes and businesses. Additionally, light can also be used to create electric currents through the process of photoelectric effect, where electrons are released from a metal surface when exposed to light. This is used in devices like solar cells and photodiodes. Overall, light has proven to be a reliable and sustainable source of electricity, making it an important aspect of renewable energy production.
Deadevil
Hello Dear Fellows!
We all know that light is an electromagnetic wave and also we know that an antenna receives EM waves and convert it into electrical energy. My question is that is it possible for any specially design antenna to receive Light as a source of EM waves and convert into electrical energy. Which will be a continuous and cheap source of electricity. Please be positive for replying this answer.Waiting for your Reply.

Thanks
Faisal

Physics news on Phys.org
It's called a solar cell.

Reply to Steam KIng

Thanks for Replying Steam King. But i think solar cells work on the principle of photoelectric effect whereas antenna work on the principle of Faraday law of Induction.Correct me If I am wrong.
Thanks again Steam KIng

Deadevil said:
Thanks for Replying Steam King. But i think solar cells work on the principle of photoelectric effect whereas antenna work on the principle of Faraday law of Induction.Correct me If I am wrong.
Thanks again Steam KIng

I believe that he gave that answer based on the fact that you were using the terms light and electromagnetic wave in the same sentance. You see, light refers to a particlular band within the EM spectrum. EM waves in that spectrum can be changed to EM waves more efficiently and much more easily using devices where quantum effects are dominant. You then said that you wanted to know if light could design an antenna to receive Light as a source of EM waves and convert into electrical energy. The answer is no because an antenna is a macroscopic device and quantum mechanical interactions can't effect what you're interested in. At least I can't imagine any such device. I also don't think that photo cells use the photoelectric effect.

Deadevil said:
Thanks for Replying Steam King. But i think solar cells work on the principle of photoelectric effect whereas antenna work on the principle of Faraday law of Induction.
A photovoltaic cell will be much more efficient at visible wavelengths than any form of antenna you could produce. If you want "Light as a source of electricity" as in the title of the thread, then you want photovoltaics.

Deadevil said:
Thanks again Steam KIng

Efficient direct rectification of light frequency em waves should be 'possible' with special nano-scale structures and diodes.

http://www.inl.gov/technicalpublications/Documents/3992778.pdf
http://www.rdmag.com/news/2013/02/nanoantenna-array-could-be-vast-improvement-over-silicon

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is light as a source of electricity?

Light as a source of electricity refers to the process of using light energy to generate electricity. This can be achieved through various methods such as photovoltaic cells, solar panels, and other light-sensitive materials.

2. How does light generate electricity?

When light hits certain materials, it causes the atoms within those materials to release electrons. These electrons can then be captured and channeled into a circuit, creating an electric current.

3. What types of light can be used to generate electricity?

Any type of light can be used to generate electricity, as long as it has enough energy to excite the atoms in the material. This includes natural light from the sun, as well as artificial light from sources such as light bulbs and LEDs.

4. What are the benefits of using light as a source of electricity?

Using light as a source of electricity has many benefits, including being a renewable and clean energy source. It also does not produce any harmful emissions, making it environmentally friendly. Additionally, the technology for generating electricity from light is constantly advancing and becoming more efficient.

5. Can light be used to power large-scale electricity needs?

Yes, light can be used to power large-scale electricity needs. With advancements in technology, solar and photovoltaic systems are becoming more efficient and cost-effective, making them a viable option for powering homes and even entire cities.