Nth Order Differential Equations

In summary: The third order equation y''= y has an x^2 term. But beyond that, I'm not sure what you're getting at.
ahaanomegas
We know that there are a few forms for 1st order differential equations. Second-order differential equations have an extra term with an [itex]x[/itex] in it. My conjecture is that third-order differential equations have another extra term with an [itex]x^2[/itex] in it. A friend of mine agrees with this. Is this true and can we following the same pattern for higher order differential equations? If so, is there a proof to this?

Thanks in advance! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
ahaanomegas said:
We know that there are a few forms for 1st order differential equations. Second-order differential equations have an extra term with an [itex]x[/itex] in it. My conjecture is that third-order differential equations have another extra term with an [itex]x^2[/itex] in it. A friend of mine agrees with this. Is this true and can we following the same pattern for higher order differential equations? If so, is there a proof to this?

What do you mean in writing "We know that there are a few forms for 1st order differential equations" ?
This seens rather ambiguous. What kind of ODE are you talking about ?
The general solution of a first order ODE is on the form f(c,x) where c is an arbitrary constant. The form c*f(x) is not the general case : it is only true in the case of linear ODE.
The general solution of a second order ODE is on the form f(c1,c2;x) where c1 and c2 are arbitrary constants. The form c1*f1(x)+c2*f2(x) is not the general case : it is only true in the case of linear ODE.
The general solution of a third order ODE is on the form f(c1,c2,c3;x) where c1, c2, c3 are arbitrary constants.
etc.

ahaanomegas said:

The most general way of writing a first order differential equation is f(x, y, y')= 0.
The most general way of writing a second order differential equation is f(x, y, y', y'')= 0.
The most general way of writing a differential equation of order n is [itex]f(x, y, y', y'', ..., y^{(n)})= 0[/itex]

I have no idea what you mean by "an extra term with and x in it" nor "another extra term with an [itex]x^2[/itex] in it". The second order equation y''= y has no explicit "x" at all.

1. What is an Nth order differential equation?

An Nth order differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves the derivatives of a function up to the Nth order. It is used to describe relationships between a function and its derivatives, and is commonly used in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields.

2. How is an Nth order differential equation solved?

The solution to an Nth order differential equation involves finding a function that satisfies the given equation and its initial conditions. This can be done analytically using techniques such as separation of variables, substitution, or integrating factors, or numerically using methods such as Euler's method or Runge-Kutta methods.

3. What is the difference between a homogeneous and non-homogeneous Nth order differential equation?

A homogeneous Nth order differential equation is one where all the terms involve the function and its derivatives, whereas a non-homogeneous equation also includes terms that do not involve the function or its derivatives. The solution to a homogeneous equation can be found by setting the non-homogeneous terms to zero, while the solution to a non-homogeneous equation requires an additional particular solution.

4. Can Nth order differential equations be applied to real-world problems?

Yes, Nth order differential equations are often used to model and solve real-world problems in various scientific fields. For example, they can be used to describe the motion of objects under the influence of forces, the growth of populations, or the behavior of electrical circuits.

5. Are there any practical applications of Nth order differential equations?

There are many practical applications of Nth order differential equations, such as in physics, engineering, economics, biology, and other fields. They are used to model and analyze various systems and phenomena, and to make predictions and solve problems in these areas. For instance, they can be used to design control systems, optimize processes, or predict the behavior of complex systems.