What Is the Albedo of Leaves in Beef Cattle Pasture Production?

• Thread starter ambzrose
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a question about the production of beef cattle in AB, which involves fertilized fields of rye grass and clover. The question asks about the percentage of solar energy trapped by plants through photosynthesis, the amount of energy available to cattle from each square metre if they eat all the plants, and the albedo of leaves. The provided information includes the amount of visible light energy received by a typical square metre of pasture, how this energy is accounted for, and the energy used in plant respiration.
ambzrose
k I am stuck on this one question i don't know the formulas can anyone help me with each and tell me how to do it!

heres teh question:
the prodcution of some beefe cattle in AB is based on fertilized fields of rye grass and clover. a typical sq. metre of pasture receives 2093400kJ of visible light energy from the sun each year. The energy is accounted for as followed:

energy is reflected by le aves 330 004kj
energy is lost by evaporation of water 1046700kj
energy transmitted to teh ground
energy trapped by plants 42872kj
trapped by eenergy used in teh lpant respiration 3936

1- what % of total avaliable solar energy is trapped by the plants through photosynthesis over the yer?
2-how much energy is avaliable to cattle from each sq metre if they eat all teh plants
3-what is the albedo of the leaves?

Physics news on Phys.org
Please read the second sticky at the top of this forum or the second link in my signature.

I would be happy to help you solve this beef cattle problem. It seems like you are struggling with understanding the different components of energy flow in a beef cattle production system. Let's break down the question and tackle each part separately.

1) What percentage of total available solar energy is trapped by the plants through photosynthesis over the year?

To answer this question, we need to first understand the concept of photosynthesis. Photosynthesis is the process by which plants convert light energy from the sun into chemical energy, which they use to grow and sustain themselves. In this case, the plants in the pasture are using the visible light energy (2093400kJ) from the sun to perform photosynthesis.

From the given information, we know that 330004kJ is reflected by the leaves and 1046700kJ is lost through evaporation of water. This means that 330004kJ + 1046700kJ = 1376704kJ is not available for photosynthesis. Therefore, the energy available for photosynthesis is 2093400kJ - 1376704kJ = 716696kJ.

Now, to calculate the percentage of total available solar energy trapped by the plants, we need to divide the energy trapped by plants (42872kJ) by the total available energy (716696kJ) and multiply by 100. This gives us a percentage of 6%.

2) How much energy is available to cattle from each square meter if they eat all the plants?

To answer this question, we need to consider the energy flow from the plants to the cattle. The plants trap 42872kJ of solar energy through photosynthesis. This energy is then used in the plant respiration (3936kJ) and is not available to the cattle. Therefore, the energy available to the cattle is 42872kJ - 3936kJ = 38936kJ.

3) What is the albedo of the leaves?

The albedo of a surface is the measure of its reflectivity, or how much light it reflects. In this case, the leaves reflect 330004kJ of visible light energy out of the 2093400kJ available. To calculate the albedo, we divide the energy reflected (330004kJ) by the total available energy (2093400kJ) and multiply by 100. This gives us an albedo of 15.8%.

I hope this helps you understand the problem better and how to approach it. Remember

1. What are some common beef cattle problems and how can they be solved?

Common beef cattle problems include health issues, breeding difficulties, and nutritional imbalances. These problems can be solved by implementing a regular vaccination and deworming schedule, using proper breeding techniques, and providing a balanced diet.

2. How can I prevent disease outbreaks in my beef cattle herd?

Disease outbreaks can be prevented by practicing good biosecurity measures, such as limiting contact with other herds, quarantining new animals, and maintaining a clean and sanitary environment. Regular vaccinations and deworming can also help prevent diseases.

3. What is the best way to handle calving difficulties?

Calving difficulties, also known as dystocia, can be handled by providing proper nutrition to pregnant cows, monitoring them closely during calving, and seeking assistance from a veterinarian if needed. It is also important to have a clean and safe calving area.

4. How can I improve the reproductive performance of my beef cattle?

The reproductive performance of beef cattle can be improved by maintaining a strict breeding schedule, using high-quality semen, and ensuring proper nutrition for both the male and female cows. Regular health check-ups and addressing any underlying health issues can also help improve reproductive performance.

5. What are some signs of nutritional deficiencies in beef cattle?

Signs of nutritional deficiencies in beef cattle can include poor body condition, rough hair coat, decreased milk production in lactating cows, and decreased growth rate in young animals. A veterinarian can perform a nutritional assessment and recommend appropriate supplements or changes to the diet to address any deficiencies.

Back