Confused by Forces!

by M@er
Tags: confused, forces
Share this thread:
M@er
Nov30-05, 07:39 AM
P: 1
Hey All,
This is my first post and I'm glad I joined. It looks like a lot of good advice is given around here. Anyway, on to my problem:

If only an external force can change the velocity of a body, how can the internal force of the brakes bring a car to rest.

This question totally stumps me. I'm not really sure what I am supposed to be doing at all. I am not sure exactly what forces are being taken into account, and I'm not sure what my answer is supposed to be. I'm pretty lost. I'm not necessarily looking for an answer, as much as I am looking for a little bit of explanation or clarification.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Security CTO to detail Android Fake ID flaw at Black Hat
Huge waves measured for first time in Arctic Ocean
Mysterious molecules in space
siddharth
Nov30-05, 10:41 AM
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 1,198
First of all, can you figure out what force causes the car to slow down?

If the road was very slippery and you hit the brakes, will the car slow down faster or slower when compared to a normal road?
BobG
Nov30-05, 11:01 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,278
Quote Quote by M@er
Hey All,
This is my first post and I'm glad I joined. It looks like a lot of good advice is given around here. Anyway, on to my problem:

If only an external force can change the velocity of a body, how can the internal force of the brakes bring a car to rest.

This question totally stumps me. I'm not really sure what I am supposed to be doing at all. I am not sure exactly what forces are being taken into account, and I'm not sure what my answer is supposed to be. I'm pretty lost. I'm not necessarily looking for an answer, as much as I am looking for a little bit of explanation or clarification.
I like that question. It raises a couple of other questions:

Internal to what? Are the brakes internal to the object they're acting on?

Once the brakes act on the tires, is the resulting interaction internal or external?

Edit: By the way, a better definition of internal and external is what the object interacts with, not its physical location. For example, electromagnetic torquing coils in a satellite might physically be located inside the satellite body, but they interact with the external magnetic field surrounding the Earth, making them an external actuator vs. an internal actuator.

B-80
Nov30-05, 08:32 PM
P: 74
Confused by Forces!

well the car has many forces acting upon it, in all actuallity it is not the car that stops itself, it is the friction on the road. think of it like this, if the car was in space and breaked would it stop? no because the friction on the road stops it, and by external force they mean one thats not in the scope of the problem, such as a gust of wind, or a tennis ball that hits it, ect....

Register to reply