AgCl Solubility: Highest in 0.020 M BaCl2 or KCl

• Thread starter confusedbyphysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Solubility
In summary, the conversation discusses the solubility of AgCl in different aqueous solutions. The person is having trouble figuring out which solution would have the highest solubility and is confused about the common ion effect. They eventually come to the conclusion that pure water would be the most likely choice since it doesn't have any other ions to prevent the AgCl from dissolving.
confusedbyphysics
It's driving me crazy that I can't figure this out. I've read the section in the book like 5 times and its not helping at all...argh.. Here it is:

In which of the following aqueous solutions would you expect AgCl to have the highest solubility?

pure water
0.020 M BaCl2
0.015 NaCl
0.020 AgNO3
0.020 KCl

AgCl is generally insoluble in water so it can't be pure water. Ag is a metal ion, and my book says interaction with Lewis bases other than water can interact with the metal ion, and can dramatically affect the solubility of a metal salt like AgCl.The example they show in the book is AgCl(s) + 2NH3 ---> Ag(NH3)2 + Cl-.

I am completely confused. I guess AgNO3 just as a random guess and its wrong. I'm thinking the answer is probably .02 M BaCl2 or .02 KCl because they both have a higher concentration than the remaining .015 NaCl answer, but I don't know which to choose or why one would be right and not the other.There is another section in my book that talks about precipitation and the separation of ions. The books says when Q < Ksp, sold dissolves until Q=ksp, but I don't know how that would help me when I can't figure out Q because I don't have the numbers. Could someone please help me understand this, I'm so confused...

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you are making the problem more complicated than it really is.

Although we generally consider AgCl insoluble in water, that isn't exactly true. AgCl is slightly soluble in water, very, very slightly, so much so we usualy ignore it.

In all 5 possible choices, we assume, water is the solvent we are using, even in the solutions containing other salt solutes.
So which choice will most easily dissolve the AgCl?

The common ion effect tells us that if the solution already has a "common ion" dissolved in it, it will make other salts with that ion less soluble.
The two ions that AgCl will break up into would be Ag+ and Cl-. Out of the 5, 4 of the choices have common ions with AgCl (either the Silver+1 or the Chloride ion), thus we are left with pure water as the likely choice.
This would make sense since pure water (in theory) would have nothing else dissolved in it, no other ions, nothing that would prevent the AgCl from dissolve [other than its already very low solubility].

Thanks mrjeffy321, pure water did turn out to be the right answer. I see what I did wrong now (I definitely have a habit of making things harder than they should be, haha)..thanks again for your help

1. What is AgCl solubility?

AgCl solubility refers to the amount of silver chloride (AgCl) that can dissolve in a solvent, such as water.

2. What is the significance of 0.020 M BaCl2 and KCl?

0.020 M BaCl2 and KCl are both solutions of barium chloride (BaCl2) and potassium chloride (KCl), respectively. They are commonly used in experiments to test the solubility of various substances, including AgCl.

3. Which solution, 0.020 M BaCl2 or KCl, has the highest AgCl solubility?

According to the solubility rules, AgCl is more soluble in KCl than in BaCl2. Therefore, the solution with the highest AgCl solubility would be 0.020 M KCl.

4. How does the concentration of the solution affect AgCl solubility?

Generally, an increase in the concentration of a solution can lead to an increase in the solubility of a substance. In this case, a higher concentration of KCl (0.020 M) compared to BaCl2 (0.020 M) results in a higher AgCl solubility.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect AgCl solubility?

Yes, temperature and the presence of other ions in the solution can also impact AgCl solubility. Higher temperatures generally increase solubility, while the presence of certain ions, such as Cl-, can decrease solubility.