What would a PV curve for a Quasiturbine engine look like?

In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking help with their report on the quasiturbine engine for their physics class. They are looking for a PV curve for the engine and have found some potential resources online. One person suggests looking at a temperature/entropy diagram, while another suggests checking out factbug.org for a graphic of an otto cycle PV diagram, which may be able to be modified for their purposes.
taijin
Im working on a report for my physics class on engines and I wanted to do a report on the quasiturbine engine but I can't figure out what a PV curve for a Quasiturbine engine would look like?
http://quasiturbine.promci.qc.ca/

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not familiar with this engine, but just a thought: sometimes it's helpful to look at the temperature/entropy diagram as well.

disregard my last reply. I was just reading about this engine, and you probably want the P/V diagram, check out factbug.org

It says this engine operates around an otto cycle. I'm certain you can google a graphic of an otto cycle pv diagram. Then, perhaps modify it for your purposes?

1. What is a PV curve for a Quasiturbine engine?

A PV (pressure-volume) curve for a Quasiturbine engine is a graphical representation of the relationship between the pressure and volume of the working fluid within the engine as it goes through one complete cycle. It is used to analyze the performance and efficiency of the engine.

2. How is a PV curve for a Quasiturbine engine different from other engine types?

The Quasiturbine engine is unique in that it utilizes a four-sided rotor with curved blades, allowing for continuous torque output. This results in a PV curve with a more uniform pressure and higher efficiency compared to traditional piston-based engines.

3. What factors influence the shape of a PV curve for a Quasiturbine engine?

The shape of a PV curve for a Quasiturbine engine is influenced by various factors such as the design of the rotor, the type of working fluid, the speed of rotation, and the load on the engine. These factors can affect the compression ratio, expansion ratio, and the amount of energy extracted from the working fluid.

4. Can a PV curve for a Quasiturbine engine be used to predict its performance?

Yes, a PV curve can provide valuable insights into the performance of a Quasiturbine engine. By analyzing the shape of the curve, engineers can determine the efficiency, power output, and overall performance of the engine.

5. Are there any limitations to using a PV curve for a Quasiturbine engine?

While a PV curve can provide valuable information, it is important to note that it is only a theoretical representation of the engine's performance. Various external factors such as friction, heat loss, and pressure losses can affect the actual performance of the engine, which may differ from the predicted values on the PV curve.