Nucleus of an atom contains only neutrons and protons?

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about identifying incorrect statements about the composition of atoms. The participants consider various options and eventually determine that statements C and E are incorrect. They also briefly touch on the presence of quarks and virtual particles in the nucleus of an atom.
topsyturvy
thanks hootenanny:wink:

im not sure if my teacher had set this question wrongly or not? because I am finding it hard to answer.

the question goes:
TWO statement below are INCORRECT. which are these 2 statements?
A.) the nucleus of an atom contains only neutrons and protons.

B.)The mass number(nucleon number) of an atom = number of protons + number of neutrons.

C.)The Nucleus of an atom contains 3 protons and 4 neutrons. Thus, this atom has 3 valence electrons.

D.)It is possible for the mass number(nucleon number) and atomic number(proton number) of an atom to be equal.

E.)It is never possible for the number of neutrons and the number of protons to be equal.

can anybody help? :confused:
i could only pick out 1 incorrect statement which is C.
but the question require 2.. so i hope somebody could help. thanks lotsa.:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
topsyturvy said:
A.) the nucleus of an atom contains only neutrons and protons.
I'm not sure how much depth you have gone into, this is probably from chemistry class no? But this statement is technically incorrect. Protons and neutrons themselves are composed of quarks; also, in the nucleus there are many virutal particles which mediate the fundamental forces (strong, weak, EM and gravity). However, it is unlikely that you have gone into this much depth in chemistry class, but as far as I can see all the others, except (c) as you point out are correct.:confused:

Last edited:
i think the choice no E is also wrong in the 1st question.

eg in magnisium the no of protons is equal to no of neutrons(12)

benzun_1999 said:
i think the choice no E is also wrong in the 1st question.

eg in magnisium the no of protons is equal to no of neutrons(12)
Yes, I forgot to comment on this in this post, however, on my previous post I did say that;
Hootenanny said:
Yes, infact many of the elements have equal numbers of protons and neutrons. HINT: Look for elements with even nucelon numbers.
So, the obvious choices here would be C and E. Apologies for the confusion.

1. What is the nucleus of an atom?

The nucleus of an atom is the central part of the atom that contains most of its mass. It is made up of protons and neutrons, which are held together by strong nuclear forces.

2. Why does the nucleus of an atom contain only neutrons and protons?

The nucleus of an atom contains only neutrons and protons because they are the only particles that have enough mass to overcome the repulsive forces between positively charged protons. This allows the nucleus to remain stable.

3. How many protons and neutrons are typically found in the nucleus of an atom?

The number of protons and neutrons in the nucleus of an atom can vary depending on the element. However, in most cases, the number of protons is equal to the number of neutrons, giving the atom an overall neutral charge.

4. What is the role of the nucleus in an atom?

The nucleus of an atom is responsible for maintaining the stability of the atom by holding together the protons and neutrons. It also contains the majority of the atom's mass and determines the element's properties.

5. Can the number of neutrons and protons in the nucleus of an atom change?

Yes, the number of neutrons and protons in the nucleus of an atom can change through a process called nuclear decay, which can result in the formation of different elements. This process is also used in nuclear reactions, such as nuclear fusion and fission.