Find the angle that the total acceleration of the car makes

In summary, the conversation discusses a recurring problem involving a race car speeding up on a circular track and finding the angle of the total acceleration at a certain point. The question also asks for a guide on how to approach similar problems. Tips given include finding the radial component of acceleration using speed, finding the tangential acceleration, and drawing a picture.
Maxwell
Ok, this is a type of question I have seen on a quiz, and in my homeworks. I have gotten it wrong both times.

This problem seems to be reoccuring, and I am pretty sure it will be on my test on friday.

This is the question:

"A race car starts from rest on a circular track. The car increases its speed at a constant rate a(sub i) as it goes once around the track. Find the angle that the total acceleration of the car makes - with the radius connecting the center of the track and the car - at the moment the car completes the circle."

Now I understand some aspects of the question, like this is a Tangential and Radial acceleration problem. But what I am looking for is a sort of guide through these types of problems, so I can tackle any problem that is like this.

Also, the question on my quiz was this, but it asked different types of questions about the circle. I will get it back tomorrow and post the variation.

Thank you very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Maxwell
Now I understand some aspects of the question, like this is a Tangential and Radial acceleration problem. But what I am looking for is a sort of guide through these types of problems, so I can tackle any problem that is like this.
To find the radial component of the acceleration, you need the speed. Find the speed however you can. [itex]a_r=\frac{v^2}{r}[/itex]

The tangential acceleration [itex]a_t[/itex] is given. Find the total acceleration by adding the two vector components. (The angle can be found by drawing the triangle representing the vector addition. And a little trig.)

Originally posted by Maxwell
... what I am looking for is a sort of guide through these types of problems, so I can tackle any problem that is like this.
Two things:
1) Do all of the HW problems in your book (and I'm only slightly joking).
2) Draw a picture.

What is the total acceleration of a car?

The total acceleration of a car is the combined effect of all the forces acting on the car, including the engine power, friction, and air resistance. It is measured in meters per second squared (m/s²).

How do you calculate the total acceleration of a car?

The total acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity (final velocity - initial velocity) by the change in time. This equation is known as the acceleration formula: a = (vf - vi) / t.

What factors affect the total acceleration of a car?

The total acceleration of a car can be affected by various factors, such as the power of the engine, the weight and aerodynamics of the car, the condition of the tires, and the terrain.

Why is it important to find the angle of the total acceleration of a car?

The angle of the total acceleration of a car can provide valuable information about the direction and magnitude of the forces acting on the car. This information is crucial for understanding the dynamics of the car and making adjustments for better performance and safety.

How can you find the angle of the total acceleration of a car?

The angle of the total acceleration of a car can be found by using trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. The angle can also be determined by measuring the components of the acceleration in the horizontal and vertical directions and using the inverse tangent function to calculate the angle.