Can You Get Botox for Knees? And Other Joys of Growing Old

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary: Important.The days when I could sneak upstairs without a making a sound are gone. Due to numerous injuries, my knees and hips snap, crackle and pop as I climb the stairs. :redface: I find that I can't stand still for long periods or bend constantly without groaning. :redface: I can work in the garden on my hands and knees for hours, I just can no longer stand back up without assistance (sometimes accompanied by a small scream of pain). :redface: My knees are getting wrinkled. :cry: Can you get botox for knees?Oh, and guess what? I've decided to buy an electric mower! My riding mower is in the
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
The days when I could sneak upstairs without a making a sound are gone. Due to numerous injuries, my knees and hips snap, crackle and pop as I climb the stairs. :redface:

I find that I can't stand still for long periods or bend constantly without groaning. :redface:

I can work in the garden on my hands and knees for hours, I just can no longer stand back up without assistance (sometimes accompanied by a small scream of pain). :redface:

My knees are getting wrinkled. :cry: Can you get botox for knees?

Oh, and guess what? I've decided to buy an electric mower! My riding mower is in the shop and I remember a neighbor of mine had one...

Ok, we're taking bets. How far can Evo go before she mows the power cord?

A) 5 minutes

B) 10 minutes

C) Are you kidding? She won't make it onto the grass before the cord wraps around her legs, drags her to the ground, pinning her to the mower THEN the cord hits the blades.

Physics news on Phys.org
You know you're getting old when cross-training becomes a necessity. You can no longer do the same workout two days in a row (swim, bike, run, MX, etc.)...

Evo said:
The days when I could sneak upstairs without a making a sound are gone. Due to numerous injuries, my knees and hips snap, crackle and pop as I climb the stairs. :redface:

I find that I can't stand still for long periods or bend constantly without groaning. :redface:

I can work in the garden on my hands and knees for hours, I just can no longer stand back up without assistance (sometimes accompanied by a small scream of pain). :redface:

After reading this, I'll have to go for C). :biggrin: o:)

The second sign of getting old is loss of memory.

:rolleyes: I can't remember what the first sign is.

Evo said:

Oh, and guess what? I've decided to buy an electric mower! My riding mower is in the shop and I remember a neighbor of mine had one...

Ok, we're taking bets. How far can Evo go before she mows the power cord?

A) 5 minutes

B) 10 minutes

C) Are you kidding? She won't make it onto the grass before the cord wraps around her legs, drags her to the ground, pinning her to the mower THEN the cord hits the blades.

I'm betting on C.

Funny, I almost started a thread like this the other day. I guess we are both feeling old these days. :biggrin:

As for Berkeman, , you are old when cross training means that you walk up the hill and then pass gas.

Evo,

I'ts about time I told you that we have a print of the same painting (same as your avitar) of the Lady of Shallot in our foyer. There's a story behind this print, but later...It's some thing about the...anyway I didn't think at first...you see

the woman has been getting younger! In the picture! She's getting younger! Something is terribly wrong!

Chi Meson said:
Evo,

I'ts about time I told you that we have a print of the same painting (same as your avitar) of the Lady of Shallot in our foyer. There's a story behind this print, but later...It's some thing about the...anyway I didn't think at first...you see

the woman has been getting younger! In the picture! She's getting younger! Something is terribly wrong!
:bugeye:

:cry:

Ivan Seeking said:
Funny, I almost started a thread like this the other day. I guess we are both feeling old these days. :biggrin:
It's spring, time for yard work, the old bones aren't ready yet.

As for Berkeman, , you are old when cross training means that you walk up the hill and then pass gas.
:biggrin:

Hey, don't forget membership in AARP! :biggrin: :smile:

For those are experiencing the joy of growing reeaaallllly old, is it true that you tend to become more religious when you grow old (provided you are not atheist of course) ?
In my place, I find this true for a large majority, especially elderly women.

arunbg said:
For those are experiencing the joy of growing reeaaallllly old, is it true that you tend to become more religious when you grow old (provided you are not atheist of course) ?

Interestingly, I've noticed that the proportion of old people at my church back in college was about 1/4, which was curiously high, considering its proximity to campus. I remember always being scared of being late to church; all the college students went to the early service, and if I showed up for the late one, I'd be sandwiched in between old people.

Not that I don't like old people too. It's just that my college friends tolerate my constant physics-related discourses more easily. :rolleyes:

arunbg said:

I can't imagine my mother being religious. :-p

Evo said:
Ok, these are small discomforts but they don't seem to be that bad. IMO, older people have a lot of charm. Personally, i am looking foreward to grow older because it means :

1) i will look more "esthetic" and more "experienced"
2) an older face expresses the experience of life and shows more character and class
3) more money as your professional career grows
4) you are climbing the social ladder
5) young women will like me more :wink: because of ... err...you know... $$$

I will be truly happy when i am around 50-55. I will be at the top of my career, i will be the richest ever in my lifetime and 25 year old women will think : "ohh, look at the distinguised gentleman with his nice Jaguar and his $$$$$ bank account. This guy "knows life" ..."

Ahhh, the joys of growing old, indeed. I am looking foreward.

marlon

"The older I get the older "old" gets." How old do we feel is the question.
Today I feel about 16 in dog years.

arunbg said:
I don't see that as necessarily the case, but for some, it is a place to socialize. I have seen more women at church than men - in general - regardless of age.

Certainly as one gets older, one faces one's mortality, especially when friends and siblings start dying off. My parents, who have reached the mean age of longevity in the US, have had many friends and colleagues die already.

marlon said:
2) an older face expresses the experience of life and shows more character and class

Well, it depends.

I would second that if I could look like Jack Nicholson, for example. :approve: :biggrin:

marlon said:
I will be truly happy when i am around 50-55. I will be at the top of my career, i will be the richest ever in my lifetime and 25 year old women will think : "ohh, look at the distinguised gentleman with his nice Jaguar and his $$$$$ bank account. This guy "knows life" ..."

Ahhh, the joys of growing old, indeed. I am looking foreward.

marlon

It's great to see such optimism. Thumbs up! :wink:

Astronuc said:

Quit laughing.

radou said:
I would second that if I could look like Jack Nicholson, for example. :approve: :biggrin:
I do, with a slight Marlon Brando touch on the side.

marlon

astronuc said:
Certainly as one gets older, one faces one's mortality, especially when friends and siblings start dying off.
This was what I think is the reason. For the majority I think, prayer is a way of finding inner peace and forgetting the grief. It is also considered as a way of atoning for one's past sins. And as you mentioned, socializing with people of same age group is another reason.

Last edited:
arunbg said:

How do you know that they weren't always religious?

I'm 55, and since I worked on concrete floors for many years (paper machine operator, pulp mill chemist, consultant work) my knees have really gone to hell. I've had cartilage removed from both of them and although I can tough it out when standing , walking, etc, I cannot kneel anymore. I used to canoe through class 4-5 white-water for fun, but I can't stay on my knees long enough to do that, nor can I kneel and weed the garden or kneel and repair plumbing under a sink, for example. The arthritis due to wear without the cartilage is quite painful in some circumstances, but given the state of the art, knee replacement is not an option at my age. My doctor suggested anti-inflammatories and perhaps pain-killers, but I don't like taking drugs and masking the symptoms simply so I can cause more damage without being aware of it. As they said in "Space Cowboys" "getting' old ain't for sissies".

marlon said:
I do, with a slight Marlon Brando touch on the side.

marlon

The slight Marlon Brando touch doesn't count without at least a slight touch of his voice. :cool:

Btw, the one and only aesthetic reason because of which I could perhaps say that I'm looking forward to growing old is my genetic predisposition to early-age hair-greying. At least I'll look compact then. Not that it's tragic yet, but I predict that half of my hair will pretty much be gray in my early thirties.

Although, women say it's charming. (Expecting confirmation. :biggrin:)

radou said:
The slight Marlon Brando touch doesn't count without at least a slight touch of his voice. :cool:

Btw, the one and only aesthetic reason because of which I could perhaps say that I'm looking forward to growing old is my genetic predisposition to early-age hair-greying. At least I'll look compact then. Not that it's tragic yet, but I predict that half of my hair will pretty much be gray in my early thirties.

Although, women say it's charming. (Expecting confirmation. :biggrin:)

grey hair is very cool (for a guy :wink:)

Ivan Seeking said:
How do you know that they weren't always religious?
I never said that they weren't. All I'm saying is that the once "casually' religious become "zealously" religious. This is what I gather from my observations of elderly people in my family and around me.

marlon said:
grey hair is very cool (for a guy :wink:)
Gray hair can be very attractive in ladies, too. When Emmylou Harris started going gray, she just rolled with it. I've seen her live, front-row, at a cabaret club, and she was gorgeous.

Last edited:
arunbg, I tend to think it can go either way. People often grow more cynical.

I have a personal theory [by observation] that people become negative about the fate of the world as they grow older because they have a hard time thinking of life going on without them - that in a way, we all secretly want the world to end when we die. This is one reason why I tend to shy away from old [McCain] political leaders. But then Reagan was all about inspiration, so it's not absolute by any means.

I also think this is why people freak out over end-of-the-world prophesies. Why worry about that when our own death IS the end of the world for each of us? The reason is I think that by some sort of subtle psychological process, each generation wants to be the last.

Last edited:
We had an electric mower once...my brother and I managed to mow the power cord 2 times.

turbo-1 said:
Gray hair can be very attractive in ladies, too. When Emmylou Harris started going gray, she just rolled with it. If seen her live, front-row, at a cabaret club, and she was gorgeous.

Anyways, when i will be a 55 year old CEO i want to have a mistress/secretary like this :

ohh yeahh, i am sooooo going to make it...

marlon, who loves stereotypes

Last edited by a moderator:
Ivan Seeking said:
Quit laughing.
:smile: :smile: Sorry, but that response made me :smile:

Hey, I hit the big Hawaiin birthday this year, along with Artman. :biggrin:

arunbg said:
This was what I think is the reason. For the majority I think, prayer is a way of finding inner peace and forgetting the grief. It is also considered as a way of atoning for one's past sins.
Well, there is that. But I think Ivan made a good point, there are those who are borderline religious, maybe one foot in the door, who may be more likely to 'get religion' later in life. Or, perhaps 'lapsed' <fill in the blank> who decide to go back and give it one last shot.

I've seen people at churches who are not so much religious as they simply want to connect socially with other people, and for many, the church is the only practical place to do that, especially if there are others of one's age group there.

Physics_wiz said:
We had an electric mower once...my brother and I managed to mow the power cord 2 times.
That's what I am afraid of. :frown:

I knew I got old when...Oh, wait! I'm not old yet! :biggrin: :smile: Neener neener! I don't plan on getting old either, but I do wish they'd stop admitting younger and younger students into college. :biggrin:

Evo said:
That's what I am afraid of. :frown:

Get a cordless mower. They are so quiet you won't even hear it when you cut your toes off. :biggrin:

Astronuc said:

They sent me a letter last week. :frown: WTF? I'm still ten years away from membership age.:mad:

Wait until they start sending you discount coupons for coffins at Costco.

Of course [as per George Burns] you know you're old when you have check the obituaries before getting up... If you're not listed, then you might as well get up.