What household items can disrupt a magnetic field?

In summary: The best way to find out is to experiment with different objects and see what kind of sounds they produce. But be careful, as some objects may cause damage to your guitar or amp if used improperly. Overall, have fun and get creative with your electric guitar! In summary, electric guitars work by using a magnetic pickup to create an electrical current when the strings vibrate. Certain objects, such as IR from a remote or radiation from a computer screen, can disrupt this magnetic field and create unique sounds. Other household items like a toaster or metallic jewelry can also potentially create interesting effects. However, caution should be taken when experimenting, as some objects may cause damage to the guitar or amp. Have fun exploring and getting creative with your electric guitar!
wasteofo2
I play electric guitar, and I'm looking for fun things to mess around with. The way an electric guitar works is it has a magnetic "pickup" wrapped in copper wire which acts as generator, and when the string vibrates, it creates an electrical current. I know IR from my remote will disrupt it and create a distinct sound, and with whatever kind of radiation my compter screen puts out, stray radio frequencies and radiation from neon lights cause annoying background hum.

So, is there anything else in my house I could use to dick around and make fun noises with? Pretty much anything that creates a signal that will disrupt a magnetic field.

Physics news on Phys.org
wasteofo2 said:
I play electric guitar, and I'm looking for fun things to mess around with. The way an electric guitar works is it has a magnetic "pickup" wrapped in copper wire which acts as generator, and when the string vibrates, it creates an electrical current. I know IR from my remote will disrupt it and create a distinct sound, and with whatever kind of radiation my compter screen puts out, stray radio frequencies and radiation from neon lights cause annoying background hum.

So, is there anything else in my house I could use to dick around and make fun noises with? Pretty much anything that creates a signal that will disrupt a magnetic field.

Try your Electric Toaster!..if you dare that is ;)

If you take a locating magnetic field finder, like one used by Ramblers 'Compass', just after using your toaster place your compass close to the toaster (after switching it off of course), then you will see that the needle picks up the strong Magnetic/Electrical field still eminating form the Toaster?

Now if I am thinking correct you are using your Guitar and amp to extract the 'sounds?/feedback' of objects around your house, to see what effects they give of through your hopefully (Marshall) amplifier!

In the sixties/seventies there was a time where some Guitarists used 'COPPER-BRACELETS' on their wrists for 'Healing' purposes?..but any metalic(HEAVY-METAL!) which is where the term 'heavy-metal' came from, but rings and any jewelery give out certain 'Vibes'.

Try and find some of these bracelets and the differing effects they give out whilst around a Guitarists wrist during 'Heavy-Strumming'! ;)

Last edited:
Anything metallic or anything that generates its own electromagnetic field will potentially cause _some_ effect. However, the pickup is set close to the strings so that the effect of other objects is minimised. You might also find that it's not the pickup but the instrument lead that's acting as a radio antenna and picking up a signal (it should be shielded coax but...)

It could also be coming through the amp itself if the outlet is not properly grounded.

1. How do household items disrupt a magnetic field?

Household items can disrupt a magnetic field by either creating their own magnetic field that interferes with the existing one, or by blocking the magnetic field from reaching a certain area.

2. What are some common household items that can disrupt a magnetic field?

Some common household items that can disrupt a magnetic field include electrical appliances, metal objects, and electronic devices such as cell phones and laptops.

3. Can non-metallic objects disrupt a magnetic field?

Yes, non-metallic objects can disrupt a magnetic field. For example, materials like water and plastic can block or distort a magnetic field, especially if they are in large quantities.

4. Do all household items disrupt a magnetic field in the same way?

No, different household items can disrupt a magnetic field in different ways. For instance, a metal object may create its own magnetic field, while a non-metallic object may block the magnetic field from reaching a certain area.

5. How can I test if a household item is disrupting a magnetic field?

You can test if a household item is disrupting a magnetic field by using a compass. Place the item near the compass and observe if the needle moves or if it points in a different direction. If it does, then the household item is likely disrupting the magnetic field.