Are White Dots on Olives Safe to Eat?

• Thread starter Monique
  • Start date
In summary, the white spots on the olives in the package are harmless bacteria that are part of the fermentation process. They are safe to eat and no action is necessary.
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I bought some olives today, prepackaged ones that are not on oil (only a little). I just opened the package and there are white dots on the olives in certain places, at first I thought it were mites (the ones you get on roses), but it's not. It could be mold, but it's not fibrous, but I can whipe it off.

So.. are they still good? I tasted one before I noticed the white stuff and they were the best I ever tasted :rolleyes: (there's a remark on the package that they won a best food award and a separate technology prize for quality and best trade :cry:)

In the ingredients it says it contains potasium sorbate as a preservative agent, could it be that what I'm seeing?

Physics news on Phys.org
I see this and http://www.starfinefoods.com/faq.html. But even though these harmless spores appear as white dots, all white dots are not necessarily harmless spores. The responsible thing to do is to first feed a couple of olives to your boss and to that annoying guy in accounting. If they still show up for work the next day, enjoy your olives! :devil:

Thank you, I just did some google research and came to the same conclusion: the spots are harmless bacteria (Lactobacillue plantarum) that appear as part of the fermentation process :biggrin: yippee

The spots apparently are called 'yeast spots', but research has shown that they actually don't contain yeast: http://aem.asm.org/cgi/reprint/1/2/82.pdf learned something new today..

I'm glad you asked this, because I've noticed white dots on olives before too, and have never been sure if it was okay to eat them or not when I see them (sometimes they show up when I put them in the fridge after opening a jar, so I wasn't even sure if it was just something precipitating when chilled). Yay! Good to know they're safe to eat now. (Of course, I always figured as long as I was soaking them in a martini, I'd kill anything that was harmful to eat. :tongue2:)

1. How can I tell if these olives are still good?

There are a few ways to check if olives are still good. First, check the expiration date on the package. If the olives are past the expiration date, it's best not to consume them. You can also look for any signs of spoilage, such as a slimy texture, mold, or an off smell. If the olives look and smell fine, they are most likely still good to eat.

2. Can I still eat olives if they have been opened for a while?

If the olives have been opened for a while, it's best to use your judgment. If they have been stored properly and show no signs of spoilage, they should still be safe to eat. However, if you notice any signs of mold or an off smell, it's best to throw them out.

3. How long do olives typically last?

The shelf life of olives can vary depending on the type. Generally, olives can last for 1-2 years if unopened and stored in a cool, dry place. Once opened, olives can last for 1-2 weeks in the refrigerator.

4. What is the best way to store olives?

Olives should be stored in an airtight container or in their original packaging in the refrigerator. This will help prevent bacteria growth and maintain their freshness. If you purchase olives from an olive bar, make sure to store them in a clean container with brine or oil to keep them moist.

5. Can I freeze olives to make them last longer?

Yes, you can freeze olives to extend their shelf life. However, the texture and flavor may change once thawed, so it's best to use them within a few months of freezing. Make sure to store them in an airtight container or freezer bag to prevent freezer burn.