Register to reply

If you transfer schools does your GPA get reset?

by mr_coffee
Tags: reset, schools, transfer
Share this thread:
mr_coffee
Oct12-07, 06:10 PM
P: 1,629
Hello everyone...

I'm transferring from Penn State to NC State and I currently have 92.5 credits, 85.5 of the credits transfered and I had a 3.64 at Penn State, and now it says I have a 3.68 because a few of the credits that didn't transfer must have highered my gpa.

But one of my friends at NC state said your GPA is whatever you get your first semester at your new school (in my case NC State) is this true?

Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks!~
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Flapping baby birds give clues to origin of flight
Prions can trigger 'stuck' wine fermentations, researchers find
Socially-assistive robots help kids with autism learn by providing personalized prompts
turbo
Oct12-07, 06:16 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
Schools are businesses. They have their own policies regarding the credits they will accept from other schools and how they will evaluate them, and they use those policies to optimize profit. Schools are businesses. I don't want to be pedantic about this, but SCHOOLS ARE BUSINESSES. Sorry for the all-caps, but you've got to understand this when you contemplate transfers.
rocomath
Oct12-07, 07:45 PM
P: 1,754
contact the school.

nicksauce
Oct12-07, 08:00 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 1,275
If you transfer schools does your GPA get reset?

I transfered from University of Regina to McGill after my freshman year. I got credits for most of the courses I did, but my grades did not carry over (GPA was 'reset'). However, it probably depends school by school.
robphy
Oct12-07, 09:43 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 4,132
When I transferred, I got credit toward my degree for the course work taken (passed with sufficient grades).... however, my none of those grades contributed to my GPA at the new school. Of course, when applying to grad school, I submitted both transcripts...each with GPAs [as well as number of credits earned] computed from courses taken at the corresponding institutions.
leon1127
Oct12-07, 10:32 PM
P: 487
Depends on individual school. Check with the school that YOU ARE TRANSFORING TO.
user101
Oct12-07, 11:14 PM
P: 208
Yes, there is virtually no point in asking this here, since it will depend on the school.
jtbell
Oct13-07, 01:32 AM
Mentor
P: 11,778
Quote Quote by robphy View Post
When I transferred, I got credit toward my degree for the course work taken (passed with sufficient grades).... however, my none of those grades contributed to my GPA at the new school.
That's the policy where I teach, also. We accept credit hours for courses taken elsewhere, subject to various restrictions, but we don't include those courses in our GPA.
jtbell
Oct13-07, 01:43 AM
Mentor
P: 11,778
Quote Quote by mr_coffee View Post
But one of my friends at NC state said your GPA is whatever you get your first semester at your new school (in my case NC State) is this true?
A few minutes' of browsing through the NCSU Web site looking for "academic regulations" led me to this page:

http://www.ncsu.edu/policies/academi...REG02.10.3.php

which states:

Credit accepted for transfer from another institution is shown only as credit hours and is not included in the computation of the grade point average.
mr_coffee
Oct13-07, 08:35 AM
ahh thanks guys for the help!
mr_coffee
Oct19-07, 12:11 AM
So it turns out, I'm not going to transfer!

I found out that It would take 6 semesters to graduate from NC State's Computer Science Degree from the credits that transfered. Its insane.

I had 95.2 credits, 85.2 transfered, sounds pretty good right? False!

It seems that Penn State's Comp Sci Degree is closer match to NC State's computer engineering degree not their Comp Sci.

They also would have made me taken calc 3 all over again and linear algebra! F that.

So I'm just going to deal with the suck of Penn State for 3 more semesters starting in the Spring, then work for IBM in the summer again, then only 2 more semesters and I'm graduated! weee.
Chronos
Oct19-07, 02:05 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 9,445
Some schools allow you to repeat a course and substitute the new grade for the old. Contact your advisor for details.
Asphodel
Oct19-07, 03:00 AM
P: 451
Quote Quote by Chronos View Post
Some schools allow you to repeat a course and substitute the new grade for the old. Contact your advisor for details.
After transferring, this is just not possible. Your new institution can't overwrite the contents of another institution's transcripts. However, if they include your old grades in computing your GPA (seems very uncommon) then they may allow you to "overwrite" it for purposes of their GPA computation. Even at the same school, there are usually a list of conditions for doing this...usually you have to have failed the class the first time - which makes C grades particularly annoying.
mr_coffee
Oct20-07, 03:40 PM
I don't want to repeat anything, my main goal was to take my core computer science courses at NC State because they are very good but in the end the transfering of credits from PA to NC was just to different.

I could take exams to prove my knowledge but I don't feel like taking calc 3/linear algebra/Quatum Physics I don't even know if I remember anything from those courses. I mean if you give me a problem, I can refresh myself on the topic and solve it but I don't know about you guys, I can't just recall everything even if I did take a course on it and got an A.

I'm glad this happened actually, I can stop beating around the bush and finally graduate!

I'll get more experience working on the job anyways than I would by going to college for 6 more semesters.

Register to reply