Register to reply

In a magnetic field

by denian
Tags: field, magnetic
Share this thread:
denian
May10-03, 08:47 PM
P: 160
in a magnetic field, i know that electrons and protons are deflected in opposite direction. electrons are deflected more greater because electron are lighter than proton.

but, why are they deflected? i understand why it will be deflected if they are in electric field. but why they are deflected in a magnetic field.

please explain.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Step lightly: All-optical transistor triggered by single photon promises advances in quantum applications
The unifying framework of symmetry reveals properties of a broad range of physical systems
What time is it in the universe?
dg
May10-03, 09:16 PM
P: n/a
Originally posted by denian
in a magnetic field, i know that electrons and protons are deflected in opposite direction. electrons are deflected more greater because electron are lighter than proton.
I guess you are assuming both particles are moving through the magnetic field at the same speed... because if you were assuming they had the same (kinetic) energy this would not be the case (same behavior)

but, why are they deflected? i understand why it will be deflected if they are in electric field. but why they are deflected in a magnetic field.
please explain.
Well it depends on how far you want to go with the explanation: it is simply because of Lorentz force at the most basic level (F=qvxB) that creates an acceleration transversal to the both field direction and the particle's velocity. In turn this effect can be explained (at least in some cases) as a relativistic effect on the electric field as it is perceived by the particle in motion. In its rest reference frame there might be no magnetic field but the inertial observer would observe one and explain the transversal acceleration as due to it. From the particle's point of view no transversal acceleration would exist and everything would be explainable in terms of coulomb's law...

Hope this helps, Dario
denian
May10-03, 10:15 PM
P: 160
thank you, dario.

Register to reply