by wolram
Tags: grotto, remus, romulus
wolram
Nov23-07, 08:14 PM
PF Gold
P: 3,673
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/topic/stor...ectid=10477604

Mythology comes to life.

Italian archaeologists have unveiled the underground grotto believed to have been worshipped by ancient Romans as the place where a wolf nursed the city's legendary founder Romulus and his twin brother Remus.

Decorated with seashells and coloured marble, the vaulted sanctuary lies buried 16m inside the Palatine hill, the palatial centre of power in imperial Rome, archaeologists said.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Not just the poor live hand-to-mouth
Math modeling handbook now available
Archaeologists, tribe clash over Native remains
Chris Hillman
Nov23-07, 09:11 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 2,341
Not sure I understand your statement "mythology comes to life". I am pretty sure that classicists never doubted that this cave was a real place, since contemporary authors mentioned ceremonies held there. However, if I am not mistaken, classicists have always felt and AFAIK still feel that the story of Romulus and Remus is mythological. So the discovery of what seems to be famous grotto confirms that it was a real place where real ceremonies were held, not that Romulus or Remus existed!

But yeah, it's an interesting discovery.
Moonbear
Nov24-07, 10:30 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,257
I agree with Chris' view that it's not a demonstration of the existence of Romulus and Remus (that would be really impressive), but of a place where they were worshipped. Nonetheless, very interesting to read about.

arildno
Nov25-07, 07:34 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 12,016

Grotto of Romulus and Remus

Hmm..according to which authors/traditions were they raised in a cave?

According to Livy, and others, a shepherd chanced upon the twin babies being nursed by a she-wolf by the riverside.
Then he took them home and became their foster father.
Chris Hillman
Nov25-07, 08:18 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 2,341
Their previous domicile presumably having been a kind of "wolf den", or specifically (according to an ancient Roman tradition) the recently rediscovered sacred grotto

Register to reply