Is the textbook wrong or am I?

by drewdiddy
Tags: textbook
Share this thread:
drewdiddy
Oct20-08, 05:02 PM
P: 13
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A vertical spring (ignore its mass), whose spring constant is 875 N/m is attached to a table and is compressed down by .160 m. (a) What upward speed can it give to a .380 kg ball when released?

2. Relevant equations

Conservation of Energy using 1/2 k x^2 for Uspring.

3. The attempt at a solution

I get 7.68 m/s for the velocity and the book gets 7.47 m/s. Wanted to see who was right and if I'm doing something wrong.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
FIXD tells car drivers via smartphone what is wrong
Team pioneers strategy for creating new materials
Team defines new biodiversity metric
LowlyPion
Oct20-08, 05:18 PM
HW Helper
P: 5,341
Quote Quote by drewdiddy View Post
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A vertical spring (ignore its mass), whose spring constant is 875 N/m is attached to a table and is compressed down by .160 m. (a) What upward speed can it give to a .380 kg ball when released?

2. Relevant equations

Conservation of Energy using 1/2 k x^2 for Uspring.

3. The attempt at a solution

I get 7.68 m/s for the velocity and the book gets 7.47 m/s. Wanted to see who was right and if I'm doing something wrong.
"Upward" also means against gravity. You should also figure as an adjustment the m*g*h over the displacement of the acceleration.
drewdiddy
Oct20-08, 05:21 PM
P: 13
So you're saying you got the book's answer?

I used the conservation of energy subbing values for spring and taking into account y=0 when crossing the original spring length. I'm quite sure I have the right answer and the book's is wrong but I just want to verify.

LowlyPion
Oct20-08, 05:31 PM
HW Helper
Is the textbook wrong or am I?

Quote Quote by drewdiddy View Post
So you're saying you got the book's answer?

I used the conservation of energy subbing values for spring and taking into account y=0 when crossing the original spring length. I'm quite sure I have the right answer and the book's is wrong but I just want to verify.
I'm just saying that

mv2/2 = kx2/2 - m*g*x
borgwal
Oct20-08, 08:16 PM
P: 369
You are wrong, your book is right, Pion is right: (except I would not use both "h" and "x", there is only one vertical distance in the problem)
LowlyPion
Oct20-08, 08:32 PM
HW Helper
Quote Quote by borgwal View Post
You are wrong, your book is right, Pion is right: (except I would not use both "h" and "x", there is only one vertical distance in the problem)
Thanks for the catch. Of course h and x are the same.

I edited the previous post to be correct now.

Register to reply