calculating diameter of a filter using only flow rate

by mathsTKK
Tags: diameter, filter, flow, rate
mathsTKK
Nov22-08, 01:53 AM
P: 31
i have got a problem with a calculation involving a filter, i hope you all with lend me a helping hand.

to calculate a diameter of a cylinder is rather easy, but how to determine the size of the water filter knowing only the flow rate of the pipe, diameter of the piping and the pressure of the inlet water

i hope there will be a formula to calculate it to make it easier.
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
PsiKick's batteryless sensors poised for coming 'Internet of things'
Researcher launches successful tech start-up to help the blind
Researchers propose network-based evaluation tool to assess relief operations feasibility
Topher925
Nov22-08, 10:36 AM
P: 1,672
To know the pressure difference across a filter with respect flow rate is not going to be a trivial equation. You would need to know the type and specifications of the filter and this relation would probably be based on experiment. You could model the filter as a porous plug perhaps which equations do exist for.
mathsTKK
Nov24-08, 03:32 AM
but the filter is made of iron and steel, so i dont think it will fixed the equation, since it is about the porous one. can i know is this a study of fluid dynamic or anything else?

FredGarvin
Nov24-08, 06:45 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 5,095

calculating diameter of a filter using only flow rate

Along the lines of what Topher mentioned, if you go through a filter supplier of any kind, they will supply the deta P across their product vs flowrate. You may be able, with some flow testing, to establish an effictive orifice area that would simulate your filter and make the calculations easier.
Topher925
Nov24-08, 09:30 AM
P: 1,672
From my experience (not much), suppliers usually only give you a K value to determine your pressure across the filter. This is a similar value to what suppliers will give with valves, elbows, and other components that will create a drop in pressure. That is, the K is to be used in the equation;

gH = KV2/2

Where;
g = gravity
H = pressure head
K = loss coefficient (given by supplier)
V = Velocity of the fluid
mathsTKK
Nov25-08, 11:31 PM
so, how can i apply this equation?
as a clerk in a wastewater company, i am responsible in calculating the best fit size of the water filter(basically to find the diameter) by knowing only the pressure of the water supply and the water consumption rate of either a condominium or something else.
i find it hard to relate each of this variable as i think there is a formula to calculate it accurately.

Register to reply